Chipper info!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Local # 17 T.T.

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I bought this chipper from a co-worker last year for $300.00. The block was cracked from the previous owner running it with no anti-freeze. I recently had the block welded for $200.00, but I haven't had a chance to run it yet due to the weather here in MI. I am looking for any info on this thing I can find, including the basics to get it up and running by spring/summer. What I know now is it has a Ford 300-6 motor, two dry rotted tires, no brake lights/turn signals. I don't know how the blades are because I haven't chipped anything yet. I believe it's an Asphlund Whisper chipper (year?), but I am not sure because the ones we have at work, the feed tray door closes up and the one I have is all one piece of steel. Sorry to kinda babble, but any info would be greatly appreciated. After I get it running, I just got to learn how to back up. Thanks!

Mike Davis
:Monkey:

Looks in better shape than mine did when I first got it. Your first step is to get the motor running, then go from there. You may have luck finding a used 300 motor fot it pretty reasonably, if it comes down to it. You may also get a few more looks if this thread were in the large equipment forum???

Mike,
You might need to resize your pictures for the dial up guys. I have Road Runner and it took about 3 secs to download a picture.

Local # 17 T.T. said:
How do you re-size pics. I got a cable modem, so everythings pretty fast and I didn't notice.
I mentioned something in another thread, remember?

Glen

It's not a whisper chipper.
Measure the blade length to be sure about size. My guess is it's a 9 inch Asplundh with a blower, probably made in the mid 1960s.
As long as the rotor and shaft are not cracked, everything else is replaceable.
For $300.00 You got a great deal regardless of what condition the motor is in.
The first thing I would do is soak the bolts, with penetrating oil, that screw into the rotor.
You do not want them to break off when you try to change the blades.
Clean out the bolt holes from the bottom. Use air to blow out dust/debris.
Then turn the rotor over so the bottoms of the 3 bolt holes are facing up (4 sets 3 bolts/holes, one for each blade) . Then partially fill all three with penetrating oil.
Once you get it running, check the bearings on the rotor shaft for noise or heat.
If you need to replace the bearings, you can get bearings at a local bearing supply house for less money.
Any questions feel free to re-post or email me I will try to answer any questions you have.

The Asplundh Manufacturing Division was sold to Altec Industries in 1992.
Any questions about service, parts.
Contact Altec's Creedmoor, NC plant.
Address:
Altec-Parts Distribution Center
Creedmoor Manufacturing Division
1550 Aerial Avenue Creedmoor, NC 27552
Telephone: 800-331-1038 919-528-0032 Fax: 919-528-1875
Web site: www.altec.com.

Latest posts

Back