chipper knife gap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

high life man

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
We have a Lindig drum-style chipper. Just had the knives sharpened. Now the chips are too big. At times we'll get strips coming from the chute. Don't know the hp rating, but it is powered by a Ford V8.

Anyone the know the correct gap between the plate and the knives? If so, is this a standard measurement for all chippers, or does ot vary on type, size or make?

I'd say that your gap should be reduced by about the same amount as was removed during sharpening. If the chips are too big, loosen the set bolts (or whatever retains the knives) and tap the knives down. To insure balance and reduce vibration and unequal stresses, I'd make sure all knives are set at the same heighth, and equal from one side to the other.
If you can't get a spec on it, you might have to try it a few times and determine your own spec based on how it chips.

There usually isn't that much play in the knives to set the gap correctly. You will have to reset the cutter bar. If you can't find the specs for your particular machine, I'd say .025" to .065" would probably work. Every chipper I've used in the past 20 years has been in that range. Be sure to check the gap along the entire blade length and check ALL the blades just in case they're mismatched.

I have an asplundh Whisper chipper when i change the blades i set them at
.010 Works fine for me.:blob2:

Latest posts

Back