Chipper: Rollers Dull On Feeder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I saw that part about the machine running. While I'm not sure he is talking about sharpening there I just had to say something. I don't get anywhere near six inches from the feeder on a chipper. They scare me a little and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Take the long way and live to brag about it.:)

Mr. HE:cool:

A buddy of mine got cut pretty bad yesterday while clearing a jam, machine off, nothing moving. I wasn't there, but apparently his hand slipped and cut his forearm up on a chipper tooth. No idea just how bad it is until he tells me what the orthopedic surgeon said today. Watch yourselves out there, just about anything we work with can bite you.

I still haven't done any work on it yet, but looking more closely, I now understand the adjustment process on the spring. It looks like the adjustment screw is already backed out as far as it should to tighten, so I'll have to re-adjust the cable, then play with the screw to get it to tighten/adjust properly.

As for the idea on the 4" grinder, I was thinking something along those lines, so that looks like it will work for me. I'll be sure to implement safety protocols while working on this beast!

Thanks again and I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes.

StihlRockin'

if the feed wheels are rubbing the lower deck.

you probably need new bearings.the top of the wheels need to be cleaned out as often as possible.

On my little Morbark 2060 [13" x 6"] infeed I sharpen the 2 knives on the feed roller with a handheld knife touchup sharpener and use a 4 1/2 angle grinder to touchup the teeth.The sharp knives keep the stringy stuff chopped up and the teeth keep on grabbing. You do have to build up the teeth with a hard surface welding rod after a while though.

Willard.

I ws going to say no! No! NO! ,

but the previous post suggesting that the engine is locked out from starting and the rollers not moving should be enough. If it isn't read my first line again! :laugh:

yeah i wasnt talking about sharpening lol.

I've got a 1992 Bandit 250 and if the blades are sharp on a disk then it should suck the wood in without feed rollers, the rollers are basically there to get the wood to the blades. In a Bandit it is called an "anvil" that is the other half of the cutting from the blades to create a scissor action and suck the wood in unless the blades are dull and the anvil has a rounded edge instead of a clean sharp 90 degree corner.

Your answer is that your Shear Bar is dull, you can put new blades on all day long but if you don't dress up the edge on the shear bar or swap it to a new edge then you're not going to cut anything. There are three bolts on the side that hold the shear bar in so make sure you torque those back down when you put the bar back in.

I've got a 1992 Bandit 250 and if the blades are sharp on a disk then it should suck the wood in without feed rollers, the rollers are basically there to get the wood to the blades.

I will try to be respectful here, but you are mistaken. Drum feeders are self feeding, but disk chippers simply don't, regardless of the brand name.

If you doubt me, raise your feed roller, block it up with the factory bar used to lock it in the "up" position, then feed it some wood. Keep in mind, that's not really a smart thing to do, as the feed rollers prevent things from flying back out the chute.

It will not work, and the wood will only feed so long as you keep pushing it in. You might get some smaller branches to self-feed, but anything bigger will just bounce out away from the disk.

I will try to be respectful here, but you are mistaken. Drum feeders are self feeding, but disk chippers simply don't, regardless of the brand name.

If you doubt me, raise your feed roller, block it up with the factory bar used to lock it in the "up" position, then feed it some wood. Keep in mind, that's not really a smart thing to do, as the feed rollers prevent things from flying back out the chute.

It will not work, and the wood will only feed so long as you keep pushing it in. You might get some smaller branches to self-feed, but anything bigger will just bounce out away from the disk.

I understand what you are saying, I have done that before due to a malfunction on my hydraulic motor on the top feed wheel but you are basically correct unless the blades and anvil have a new edge on each. But regardless of that, a disk machine will not cut anything if one of the two cutting edges that form the scissor cutting action is not sharp.

I understand what you are saying, I have done that before due to a malfunction on my hydraulic motor on the top feed wheel but you are basically correct unless the blades and anvil have a new edge on each. But regardless of that, a disk machine will not cut anything if one of the two cutting edges that form the scissor cutting action is not sharp.

My Morbark disc 2060d 6",chips just fine with sharp knives and dull anvil, I have used it for years and haven't even so much as looked at the anvil.

Latest posts

Back