chipper trucks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwaterguide

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
any ideas on which trucks make the best all-around commercial/residential trucks? I' d like your ideas on trucks with and without buckets. I prefer diesel. Thanks

This is a good question. I am getting ready to buy another truck and chipper and am vasilating between an F-550 size truck and a medium duty (Topkick, Loboy) truck.

The company I work for has all International trucks. They range from a 92 up 04s. We haven't had any real problems with the trucks. They are well maintained. We currently have 4 full size chip trucks one 75 ft ariel lift one 5? ft ariel lift, one with a grapple on it, two with sprayers. Besides Internationals we have a fleet of ford f250s with dump bodies. I have had some experience with the topkicks and kodiaks and they are nothing but problems. They are underpowered and prone to breaking down.

I have some experience with cab-overs. IMO, they are great for maneuverability. However, they don't have as much power, or as much of a GVW for a similar category Ford.

I've been in some cabovers that take a heavy load.

I like a cabover for city work.

If you do a lot of removals then the best I've run are international 4800's

What major problems have you guys seen with the Topkicks? Asplundh runs thousands of them.

A company I worked for in Portland ran several pre-topkick Asplundh trucks and had drive train problems. Always thought it was from yarding around their big heavy Morbarks.

Apart from bucket trucks, my straight chip-trucks are F350's.

I ditched 2 Int'l 4700's cuz they were in the shop getting "well-maintained" more than they were out working.

We have an older Ford cabover bucket here, C600, and it's got maneuvarability galore. It'll actually make a U-turn on a decent sized street... in one round.

Also have an F-150 that I beat the hell out of now and then.. we've chipped into it, loaded it down with cordwood, dirt, stumps, logs... and it's survived. (Did have to repair the frame though. (off the topic forum=>how i'm spending my spare time)

trucks

I've got an f250 2000 w/7.3 L diesel. Sure itwould work with some sides I can make in 10 minutes. I am a little less sure about whether it will pull a bandit 250 12" with just the standard classIII receiver hitch that's on it. If I go to a pintle hitch I am told that sway bars are out of the question. Another guy said no problem with the class III, but sway bars and 2" or even 2 and 5/16' would be good idea.
Thanks for your candor, I am somewhat new to this equipment business.

I used to know some people who would tow around a Model 17 Morbark with an F350 pick-up, and on occasion a Chevy? 2500 with the diesel. The trucks both did it. You could definately feel the chipper back there, but the trucks did it. For a while the chipper didn't have any working brakes. But the trucks still did it.

I work now and then with a guy who uses an F350, V-10 Auto. He pulls a Bandit 150 (I think?) (diesel/12") , and all his gear.

He hasn't had any problems that I know of, except for traction in slippery conditions.

Best Truck

IMHO from maintaining a fleet of approx. 60 trucks, chip boxes, Buckets, log loaders and IPM's. International seems to hold up the best. 4700's for the chip boxes and spray rigs, and 4900 for the Buckets. 466 Inline-6 motors, w/ allison 4 speed auto transmissions. 4 wheel hydraulic disc brakes. This set up seems to take the beating day in and day out. Towing is no problem Bandits 200 and 250s. Only concern don't run them hot, and treat the coolant with the prescribed dca additive.

Ford 550's and GMC3500's are constantly rburning up brakes steering componants, and the aluminum boxes made by arbortect and others are constantly breaking spliting or pulling off the frame.

There may be other good combos from GM and Ford but I have seen and made repairs on the above listed models.

Corey

Monday I took a little trip to the truck shop. About 20 minutes south of here is a place that gets a lot of Asplundh eqipment. They mainly sell chip trucks and bucket trucks, and some chippers. I know of a bunch of guys in town that have bought from them, and I have never heard a bad word. They sell chip trucks with a man cab painted white for 12k, they also cut out the man cab and make 14 and 16 foot chip boxes, the 14 goes for about 16k and the 16 goes for about $18k.
I bought a new storage box (6 footer) for my loader truck. Not bad for $350. I have a cab over and realy like it, great turning radius, it seems better than my pick up.
Greg

Re: more

Originally posted by blackwaterguide
Also, don't want to go to a class V hitch unless absolutely nece
ssary....which is what truck dealers think.

You need to go to a class V hitch towing over 5000 lbs, unless it is a weight distributing hitch, which the chipper would not have. You need to think of legal liability in case of an accident. All states also require working brakes on trailers over 3000 lbs. Get a good controller, like the Jordan Ultima or a Prodigy.

hitch weight

thank you...I was unaware of that. You know some of these salesmen will tell you anything when they may or may not know the truth.

I replaced my stock Dodge receiver hitch which started to show some cracks in the welds with a class V hitch. The hitch was only about $170 and a bolt on installation. It took me only 2 hours to take off the old one and replace.

Hey Rocky,
I guess you will need to come to Hawaii to see a class V hitch on my 1 ton Dodge. If you go to the Turbo Diesel website, you will find a bunch of guys who have class V hitches on their Dodge Rams, both 3/4 and 1 tons.

Latest posts

Back