Chipper's Ford 300 inline 6, sudden no-start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the end we just gave the carb a good cleaning with $2 of carb/choke cleaner and a toothbrush. A more thorough treatment will be a rebuild which can be done hopefully before problems happen again , running great now.

Is it possible the oil bath Air Cleaner is a source of micro amounts of sticky/oily residue that can cause buildup on the carburetor throat and result in stuck butterfly flaps ?

I was just wondering if it’s practical to convert these ford 300 industrial engines neatly to paper air filtration, oil bath air filtration seems pretty obsolete.

If you have a used tractor dealer or such can probably get a used air filter assembly with or without a dust bowl.
Make sure you you measure diameter of existing hose and look at different mounting options. It won't matter if it's jd, Farmall, Ford, massy ...etc.
Can be mounted outside of engine cover if needed.

In the end we just gave the carb a good cleaning with $2 of carb/choke cleaner and a toothbrush. A more thorough treatment will be a rebuild which can be done hopefully before problems happen again , running great now.

Is it possible the oil bath Air Cleaner is a source of micro amounts of sticky/oily residue that can cause buildup on the carburetor throat and result in stuck butterfly flaps ?

I was just wondering if it’s practical to convert these ford 300 industrial engines neatly to paper air filtration, oil bath air filtration seems pretty obsolete.
OIL BATH is a "VERY" desirable Filter for Industrial Equipment. I would venture to speculate that some one overfilled or tipped the cleaner and spilled oil into the carb throat. OR SOME ONE WAS JUMPING TERRACES with the CHIPPER ALONG FOR THE RIDE. You might check utube for changing and cleaning the oil bath filter I Myself believe them to be superior to Paper filter with time and oil the only thing for inconveniences. Hopefully the filter cover/top is protected from the elements and no water got by/through the wing nut on top. If it has sat for any length of time that could explain some things and hopefully no water ended up in the crankcase (Doubtful if you had it running) just a "SO YOU KNOW" statement.

Okay, so the oil bath is superior for air filtration, that works for us .

Since the physics of this system is that the oil bath is a sticky pool to catch and hold particulates and NOT layer to prevent metal to metal contact… is it acceptable to put used motor oil in the oil bath air filter?

Okay, so the oil bath is superior for air filtration, that works for us .

Since the physics of this system is that the oil bath is a sticky pool to catch and hold particulates and NOT layer to prevent metal to metal contact… is it acceptable to put used motor oil in the oil bath air filter?
Depending on how much "Crud " the oil and filter catch the oil bath still needs cleaned and oil changed. Some people put used oil in their chainsaws, I am not one of those people. My Grandpa would filter used oil for reuse during WWII because oil was hard to get, So I will answer your question with MY question. "WHY" (would you want to)?
Oil in the filter won't need to be changed out unless the sediment in the bottom (Bowl) is accumulating, otherwise if you aren't in dirty conditions it may not need changed for years.

Thanks for the answer , it makes sense. The question came up so I wanted to hear what the voice of experience says.

Thanks for the answer , it makes sense. The question came up so I wanted to hear what the voice of experience says.
Usually the "CRUD" settles to the bottom and if you scraped the bottom with a stick/screwdriver and pulled up a lot it is time to change it out. On my stationary motors I could be careful and dump the top oil off as it was clean(er) then wash out the bath bowl and put the cleaner oil back in and top it off to the full line. One motor is a LP Minneapolis inside a building with a sawmill. Very little dirt in the air. We still changed the oil every couple of years with very little "CRUD" settled in the bottom of bowl. Motor ran 40 plus hours a week from 1956 to 1975 when we (Dad and I) had a timing gear that ran the Magneto crap out on us. One head was cracked due to a water pump leak and got caught with a freeze that cracked it. We (DAD) thought it a good idea ( I was to young to know what I do now) So we put new bearings and rings in and neither showed any wear and bearings never showed wear with Plastic gauge. Most of it we credited the propane burning clean but the oil Bath had to have made a difference as well.

Latest posts

Back