Chisel Chain sharpeners . . . Silvey vs Simington

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerdoug

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It looks like Silvey is officially out of business. Simington 451 C (might have come out in 2015) appears to be the only option for automatic sharpeners. $1,000 is fairly reasonable. Questions:
  • Can you set this unit up to take care of the rakers?
  • Is it better to go with round ground?
I do prefer chisel chain. Let me know your thoughts.

Simington has an optional add-on chain holder that is for grinding rakers.

Round ground keeps an edge better in dirty wood conditions. I prefer square regardless. The Simington grinder can grind round or square chain.

I give you two choices: For your 400 mile trip I give you a car that maxs out at 45 MPH, but will not break down, not even a flat tire. The other car won't break down but you may get a flat with it, and it goes 60 MPH. That is quite comparable to the round sharpen vs square sharpen argument. Square sharpening cuts much faster, I think at least 25% faster, than the same chain sharpened round. Also, your bar, powerhead and your body lasts longer because they are not working as hard. Do you get 500+ hours on a Stihl 460 bar? I certainly do.
As for the belief that chisel sharpened square doesn't hold an edge in dirty wood as well as that chain round sharpened, I don't think that is true. Frequently on the second day of me using my square sharpened chain, it cuts far better than the just sharpened round sharpened chain just put on the saw. Plus if you hit a wire with a chain that is cutting great, you might only damage about 4 cutters before it cuts through it. But if the chain cuts slower (like round sharpened chain does) you might damage 6-8 cutters on the same wire.

Mastermind has a Square chisel Simington grinder, not sure if its automatic or not but I too would love to hear from those running simington's in any configuration. As the only availible new square grinder I am not sure why more guys don't have them, it seems people seek out the Silvey's not matter the age or condition.

I am wondering the same thing. Obviously I can't find a silvery, but the aiming ton looks so similar.
How has your success been so far?

It looks like Silvey is officially out of business. Simington 451 C (might have come out in 2015) appears to be the only option for automatic sharpeners. $1,000 is fairly reasonable. Questions:
  • Can you set this unit up to take care of the rakers?
  • Is it better to go with round ground?
I do prefer chisel chain. Let me know your thoughts.

How do you like the aiming ton so far?

Latest posts

Back