Chisel grinding and fileing. NOT SQUARE !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya, sometimes I call them riders. But not too often. When people call them rakers its kinda like fingernails on a chalk board.

When filing with a Hexagon chisel file. I give the gullet a few swipes before I do the cutter. Even tho the gullet is part of the cutter, it is its own little entity. I file it down on an angle so the point of it get out of the way. Much prefer a hex file to a big fat round file for doing gullets. When I'm grinding I free hand each gullet before I put the chain on the grinder to sharpen it.

Out of curiosity, what do you call the the bump that stands in front of the cutter?

Rakers, riders, depth gauges... depending on who I'm talking to mostly, as for calling them Rakers its a hold over from the misery whip days, but also from the scratcher chains of yore.

Really bad when someone refers to the bar as a "blade"

Rakers, riders, depth gauges... depending on who I'm talking to mostly, as for calling them Rakers its a hold over from the misery whip days, but also from the scratcher chains of yore.

Ya , that about makes my head explode a little.

The blade people, I am always quick to inform them that it's a rotary light saber...

When filing with a Hexagon chisel file. I give the gullet a few swipes before I do the cutter. Even tho the gullet is part of the cutter, it is its own little entity. I file it down on an angle so the point of it get out of the way. Much prefer a hex file to a big fat round file for doing gullets.

I missed this last night. The Stihl hex file has a smaller sideplate edge which leaves a considerably larger gullet & it won't work well for clearing them.

Something that works for me if I am stuck with a 3 corner file. I file my tooth with a round file and then just put a corner and file the top plate with the 3 corner. It will suck some wood.
I would love if you can post some pics of this . I have a couple 3 corner stihl files and they don’t make sense to me

Latest posts

Back