Choosing a powerhead for Bark Peeler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kantuckid

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I bought a bark peeler on ebay that fits on a chainsaw power head in place of the bar & chain. It has a pulley that replaces the saws "Rim Style" clutch drum then runs a small v-belt out to the cutter head. They are easily seen on ebay item# 292 024 012 222 or the very pricey, several hundred dollar Norwegian version is made exactly the same-it's Ebay # 322 789 902 122 which has an long list in the ad naming many saws it will work on with a rim style clutch.
Mine came from the Ukraine (it's orange and made in either Russia or Ukraine) and also can be seen under a google search for peelers/de-barkers in live action. The paperwork is in Russian? funny cryptic writing whatever and has a long charted list of Stihl, Echo, Husqvarana and Partner brand saws which are said to be correct for using this gizmo. It's very well made and I plan to buy a used saw and keep the cost as low as possible too.
Small, light and low cost is best here.
My seller says it fits the Stihl MS 180, 230 and 250, no mention of others as stated in the long list with the Norwegian version's ebay listing.
I'm no saw expert but I do know saws well as a user and know there are other saws that it fits clutch size wise. To keep the cost low an Ebay used Echo or Husqvarna is probably my best choice. It does need to be a saw that has two nuts on the bar studs IMO, to hold it firmly, not the one nut style.

Again- the pulley/sheave is designed to replace a rim style, clutch drum and is the same diameter as the saws I mention.
Saw experts out there- tell me what saws I can consider without running around taking sideplates off of other peoples saws?
Thanks

Back