choosing a skid steer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skywalker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
were a small landscape and now tree company with a chipper, stumper, bucket truck

need a skidsteer

what size and what brand

and some pricing info too

grapple bucket is a must, how much are they

is Bobcat good, theres a dealer around me

thanks joe

Alot of variables there... what are you going to be using it for? any restrictions such as confined areas or trailering? Are you looking for a full size unit? a walk behind? a mini?

So let us know what you want to use it for and there will be a ton of information flowing your way.

but.... Bobcat should be high on your list, especially with a nearby dealer.

Check out New Holland too, I run New Holland alot and they are great machines. They lead the field in terms of stability and forward boom reach, but a New Holland will be next to useless for you if there isn't a nearby dealer.

Craig

Bobcat

Bobcat is a nice machine. I would stay away from Cat. My old boss used to run them and frequently had track problems.
Personally I like the A300, all wheel steering. You can also get and a300 with tracks, but they tend to rip up a lot of lawns. With the tires, as long as you are on firm ground lawn damage usually isnt an issue. Has all the bells and whistles, hydraulic release (push button) AC, heat, you name it. I think ti runs around 50k though, so dont get sticker shocked. One other bonus, all controls are hand. Bucket on the right hand, and drive wheels on the left.

Bobcat sucks

Seriously I know that they all have their strengths and weaknesses but I am a little annoyed because I had a Case we ran for 1000 hours and did nothing to and now I have a bobcat that continues to have issues. It seems to me the bobcat is just inferior. I have a friend that had bobcat t300 that would overheat the hydraulics running a high flow attachment. Dealer had no answers. I have a T190 that is a high flow but come to find out the only way to activate the high flow is with Bobcat brand attachments. It goes on and on. I think Case, New Holland, John Deere, or Caterpillar are superior machines. Just my two cents worth. As far as size rent a machine and see what it will do but you probably don't need a huge machine.

thanks Gents

uses for that skid loader

loading top soil and mulch

putting in lawns, harley rake, rock hound

lot clearing, loading logs

sky is the limit

i need the all around size, if one exists

i like overkill, not enough ass sucks

thanks

thanks Gents

uses for that skid loader

loading top soil and mulch

putting in lawns, harley rake, rock hound

lot clearing, loading logs

sky is the limit

i need the all around size, if one exists

i like overkill, not enough ass sucks

thanks

Are you looking to buy new or used?

The New Holland LS-190 is one fierce machine. It will lift and move just about anything you can put in the bucket or on the forks. I have seen a guy move numerous 3 or 4 ton rocks by getting it on the forks, lifting enough to get the back tires off the ground and just pushing them along. Of course it is a big machine, if you want/need the power you won't be at all disappointed. If you are looking for something a little smaller LS-170 is still a powerful, but smaller machine

Craig

skidsteer

If you r going to run a brush hog make sure u have high flow 25-40 psi.I run a john deere 240 I love it but cant run a brush hog.they say u can run low flow but i wouldnt heats up oil to fast.My next machine jd 325 high flow.the little 240 is a great machine i cant stop it other than 15 psi flow for attachments.it just keeps on going like the energizer bunny.:greenchainsaw:

1840 Case

Not sure what the new numbers are but I am case fan all the way. You can run them up to about 1200hrs and no major maintenance should be needed. I worked at a dealership for a long time infact my father still owns it and we beat the ever living tar out of the couple we had at the shop for work things and they are still going. Also we had two on the farm and loved them. Again worked them to death. We have a bunch of bobcats in the AF and they have turned into to be pieces of junk. I mean junk, I don't they are a very durable machine when there is a lot people using it. One or two people fine but all of us GIs way to much for them they are in maintenance all the time. Just my two cents.
Jared

I personally prefer Bobcat. I have a 763. Visibility, comfort, maneuverability, and balance are all excellent. The only thing is the 46hp. I wish it had a little more, but the turbo model burns more fuel, starts harder, and in theory has less longevity. It is all an endless tradeoff as far as features and specs. Any new machine with good local dealer support will suite you well. Do your home work as far as your hydraulic PSI and GPM flow needs. Once you buy a machine it is all about attachments. I know, I bought my machine and 2 years later had 12 attachments. Now I manufacture them. I could go on for hours about pro's and con's on skidsteer design, but in the end you get used to what you buy, unless you can't fit in the cab. Thats why I say get good dealer support because operating costs will most likely make or break your opinion of that machine in the end. Bobcat is the original and has the most affordable parts hand down. Good Luck.

So did you get one yet? If not how are you coming in your selection process?

Craig

Back