choosing the right saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moetank

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Im new to this site as you can probably tell. I have been doing some research on this site and other places trying to decide on what saw i want and will work for me. Im at school at WSU in pullman and decided it was time to buy as saw of my own at home I always use my dads 044 with a 32in bar kinda what i grew up using the weight and size doesnt bother me i think it might be out of my student budget though. I really just need a firewood saw and wont be using very heavily at all. but i figure if im going to spend the money i might as well get a good saw that will last me a long time and can be used for bigger jobs in the future. Im open to all brands dont want a new saw just looking for a good used all around saw and need to be pointed in the right direction. I would like to stay under 300 if possible but i understand you get what u pay for so may have to spend more. Also i have read mixed things about ebay trustworthy on a used saw? is it inflated do to the hurricanes? do some saw shops sell used saws? I know there is a good shop back home but havent found any here in pullman not many trees. Anyhow if you guys could just give me a little info or advise that would be awesome if i didnt do enough homework before posting than feel free to flame me and let me know thanks again.

I would look on E-Bay and search on chain saw first, then stihl, Husky, and others, just to insure you don't miss a good deal. Look at a saw that is sort of in the middle of the power and size bands. I would look at a 360/361 Stihl or the Husky, Dolmar, Echo,... equilivent, if I were looking for a mid sized saw.

You might see if MADSEN'S has a saw you might be interested in. http://www.madsens1.com/default.htm

Hal

If you're used to using an 044 then look for an 044. You can find them in pawn shops around our parts all the time for $300 or less. Otherwise, you can get alot of other saws for $300. This question gets asked quite often, so use the search function on this site. Search for "firewood saw" and you'll get plenty of reading. You'll see recommendations for the the 026, 029, 310, 036, 361, 044, 046, 066, Husky 372, 346, 359, and so on. For firewood and occasional use, pretty much anything with a "Stihl" or "Husqvarna" nametag will work, as long as you're happy with it. Beyond that, there's plenty more good saws, but product lines vary widely beyond that.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

Most "real" saw shops in Western Washington sell second hand saws. They get traded in, fixed, and resold usually with a limited store warranty, but be quick, 'cos they often aren't on the shelf for more the a few days this time of year. If you're not in a hurry, wait until mid January. The sales season is dead and the shops have little to do that fix up the trade-ins for resale, so prices are "negotiable..". If you're new to the game, don't buy used on Ebay...

I know of a bunch if great used Stihl (and a few Husky) saws around Everett. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll send you the details.

Thanks for the info guys ill do some more reading on here a good used stihl would be my choice only because its all i really know how to use or work on i dont wanna get burnt on ebay though so ill just wait till i go back to the otherside of the mountains for break. Thanks again

Im finding a lot of reasonable prices on Jonsered saws any imput on that make i have herd some talk of them on this site but unsure if thats only the old ones or what the story is thanks

Jonsereds are good saws, pretty much the same as a husky, except for different colors, and some minor cosmetic differences. I run a Jred right now, a 670 champ, and let me tell you, its a beastly machine.

With very few exceptions, Jonsereds saws are the exact same saw as a Husqvarna of the same size, but in different bodywork. This is largely due to the fact that they are all part of the same company. Good saws, but since you say you want a Stihl as thats what you are familiar with, then I would stick with that. If you are willing to try other makes, then by all means, buy a Husky or Jonsereds.

Go Cougs!

moetank,

If you get around Lewiston, check out John's Saw Shop. It's on the main drag on the south side of town, across he street from the Black Sheep outdoor store. They usually have a good selection of quality used saws (maybe not this time of year though). I think they do more servicing than selling and have a great selection of Stihl parts and good selection of Jonsereds parts if you find your used saw elsewhere.

As for the Jonsereds I have owned two, a used 535 that looked good but was about worn out engine wise when I bought it from a neighbor. Turned out he had bought it from another neighbor who used to have a commercial firewood business. It bogged in big wood, even soft pine. I had John's shop check it out...they cleaned and tuned the carb and de-coked the muffler but she still underperformed so I sold it as is as a fencing saw (lost a good chunk of money there) :cry: . That said, I recently bought a used Jonney 625 II at a pawn shop in Yakima and it just won't stop. Great acceleration and torque with 20 in. bar, good anti-vibration and its not too heavy :) .

As for e-bay, I buy non-powered stuff there from time to time but for a quality name brand saw you should be able to do significantly better at a reputable pawn shop or full service saw shop. And you can check it out yourself and make your own judgments.

Finally, the Stilh 044 is a great all around saw but if you are only cutting some firewood for personal use it might be more than you need...but better too much saw than not enough. Welcome to the site.

Back