Chopper One Axe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used it for a season back in my teens. I was impressed back then. I've since come to see that the energy translated to expansion force via the side levers, only marginally eclipses that of modern maul heads such as the Helko Tomahawk or Fiskars Super splitting axe. But is offset by it's larger edge surface and geometry. All in all, I'm sure a side by side comparison would reveal that, while the Chopper 1's heart is in the right place, it's design and function are not as efficient as one might initially suppose.

If one wanted to get technical, it would not be too difficult to measure head speed for comparison at moment of impact, between it and other axes, on wood cut from the same log with sufficient composite similarity to warrant such a test. Most would be able to analyze well enough by feel, I imagine, to preclude the need.

Of course, this is not to say that there is not appreciable room for greater efficiency in modern splitting axe head design.

TS

Last edited:
ive had one for over 20 yrs,when they first come out. they do split some wood,and this one has split a lot of wood in its day.straight grain wood is great,some knotty wood it will go through,but dont try too narly a wood though.the only thing else is it wont get stuck in the wood.

I've seen some really, really old maul heads like that... Never an ax. I've always wondered if they worked good.

I'll find those old maul heads occasionally at auctions... Never bid on one though.

I have one. I hate it because it's so noisy with those metal inserts. I never use it, anyone who wants to pick it up is welcome to it. I use a 6 and 8 lb maul for easy stuff and neighbor's woodsplitter for the rest.

I have 2 of these axes both with the fiberglass handles. Great axe for splitting white birch and spruce or anything with a straight grain and no knots which is not to large.
They are a bit noisy as pointed out above and you need to keep a supply of springs and pins around as they always seem to go missing.
I must admit I am using the hydraulic splitter more and more these days as I get older.

Chopper One Axe? Has anyone here own or used one? My Grandfather had one he always loved now I have it and said wow he was onto something it really works well splitting rounds......
Scott

I have one, it is all I use for handsplitting. It was a hand my down from my FIL, he uses some 'Monster Maul'. Here is a shot from last Spring, seems to work very good, but is kind of loud.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back