Chopper1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
Reaction score
Anybody have one? How well does it work? I saw a picture in another thread, didn't want to muddy it up asking too many questions. I watched a few youtube vids, but come on, nobody ever up loads FAIL videos of them splitting wood, oh wait 30lb maul boy did.

Anybody have one? How well does it work? I saw a picture in another thread, didn't want to muddy it up asking too many questions. I watched a few youtube vids, but come on, nobody ever up loads FAIL videos of them splitting wood, oh wait 30lb maul boy did.

Those things have been around since the '70s, resurfacing periodically. Another wheel-reinvention? For a price, of course. Back in the day, they had a tendency to pop their pivot pins, a major weak point in the design. Wanna buy a skyhook? Low mileage. :D

It looks to me like a tool dedicated to throw splits sideways. Although we already have the Leveraxe floating around here which we know does that very well. :)

I didn't see anything that would make it better suited to general splitting than the tool you already have.

I used one for 5-10 years. They aren't to bad but the springs that are supposed to help you split the wood give out after a year or 2 afterwards you wind up swinging a kinda awkward axe. I'd say the best combo for splitting is a 8-lb maul with a composite handle, paired with a sharp old fashioned double axe. The axe is much lighter and can be used to slice up the smaller stuff. Also is handy at times to start cracks in larger stuff. (Don't sink the axe to far into the big stuff ha ha)

Some may find a 6-lb maul better its what I started my son on, he used it untill he was like 14 and 130lbs. If you can't get a 8lb maul up to speed use a 6-lb. Splitting is a matter of speed and force.

i have one and it's a POS. the only difference between the chopper1 and the x27 is i still have the chopper1 :D. i can get a pic tomorrow if i'm reminded. it's out in my wood trailer in the pitch black right now although the whiskey would probably help me bare the cold i just don't feel like going out there right now. chopper1 is not meant for sideways splitting. it's meant for swinging head on at those blocks that just won't ****'n split. it's a soft wood splitting tool cause the head has to penetrate the wood a good ways for the little levers to serve their purpose. if it won't penetrate to the levers you may as well just have a maul. so far the only thing it works good for to me is in green douglas fir. pops it apart like nothing. i'd take a maul anyday though :)

i have one, i love mine works great for me esp when its this cold, blow stuff apart.

I have a x27 and a monster maul 8lb. I do 85% of my splitting with the fiskars.......but I like mechanical things, was a little currious about the chopper1. So its not very durable?

i've only had mine for a year or so. got it from my old boss cause he bought it and never used it. i actually started a thread here on it the day after i got it. i don't use it cause if i'm not using the axe i just go to a maul. my brother uses it all the time and if he can't kill it no one can kill it.

I have a x27 and a monster maul 8lb. I do 85% of my splitting with the fiskars.......but I like mechanical things, was a little currious about the chopper1. So its not very durable?

Sense a pattern emerging, Matt? (Put the bux into fuel coming down here for a load of lumber. :hi:)

It could be a shelf-queen conversation-piece, but IMO a big crosscut's more impressive.

Back