Christmas Craftsman Muff Mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEATSAW

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A very hearty thanks to tbone75 for the awesome saw out of the Christmas giving thread. Its a 36cc Craftsman (model #358.352180 -- perhaps a Poulan 2250?) that should get some sort of award for being clean and taken care of. Well I got it in the mail today (sent Monday!) and finally was able to tinker with it this evening after work. I immediately wanted to check out the muffler (I blame AS 100% for the inability to run a saw with a stock muffler). It became very, very apparent that the stock muffler offered minimal flow. Here are some pictures of the muffler system before and after:

This shows everything. Notice the object in between the 2 bolts - its a very restrictive spark screen mount.
352180_muff3.jpg

The next 2 pictures show the actual muffler ports. Very small and on the backside of the muffler = horrible flow.
352180_muff2.jpg

352180_muff1.jpg

And this is what it looks like complete. Two holes drilled with a 7/32" bit and then slightly elongated with a Dremel. I also removed that spark screen insert.
352180_muffmod.jpg

After the mod was finished, I put some fuel and oil in it and 3 pulls later the saw was running strong. Sounded great. Even if it doesn't improve anything it makes me sleep better at night knowing that I've done what I could to make it better!

Last edited:
A very hearty thanks to tbone75 for the awesome saw out of the Christmas giving thread. Its a 36cc Craftsman (model #358.352180 -- perhaps a Poulan 2250? that should get some sort of award for being clean and taken care of. Well I got it in the mail today (sent Monday!) and finally was able to tinker with it this evening after work. I immediately wanted to check out the muffler (I blame AS 100% for the inability to run a saw with a stock muffler). It became very, very apparent that the stock muffler offered minimal flow. Here are some pictures of the muffler system before and after:

This shows everything. Notice the object in between the 2 bolts - its a very restrictive spark screen mount.
352180_muff3.jpg

The next 2 pictures show the actual muffler ports. Very small and on the backside of the muffler = horrible flow.
352180_muff2.jpg

352180_muff1.jpg

And this is what it looks like complete. Two holes drilled with a 7/32" bit and then slightly elongated with a Dremel. I also removed that spark screen insert.
352180_muffmod.jpg

After the mod was finished, I put some fuel and oil in it and 3 pulls later the saw was running strong. Sounded great. Even if it doesn't improve anything it makes me sleep better at night knowing that I've done what I could to make it better!

That will give it some more pep!Now give it a port job and look out! LOL Hope you like it!

Latest posts

Back