Christmas in October

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthornton

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well I broke down and got a bigger saw... the Stihl 021 just won't work on big stuff, well it just takes forever to cut with the little 2.15 cu in engine. So I got a MS-291 with a 20" bar and the RS chain... boy does that saw cut nice.

Sthil%20MS-291%2001.jpg

First thing I had to do was noodle a chunk oak! Then I read the booklet and checked the gas and oil.

I'm loving it!

JT

Funny thing the MS271 is heaver than the MS291 with less power and less displacement. I think the 271 is just a small bore 291 for the same price. I wonder why anyone would get a 271? I got double warranty by getting a 6 pack of synthetic oil with the saw... they didn't say I had to use it LOL but I will.

JT

They have way more power with a muffler mod. There is tons of info on how to do it on here. I was disappointed with mine till I did the mods. I had a 25 inch bar full comp on mine to cut some 36 in oak before I got bigger saws and it worked great.

Put a few tanks through it to make sure it ain't a junker. And then mod it, you will need to richen up it alittle. 1/4 - 1/2 turn out on the H screw. Look at a tuning thread for more info on tuning.

Back