Church group gets a donation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchuck357

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been away from home, the last few days, helping some folks that have some real problems, just got back today to discover the Lady gave away 13 ricks of our wood to a church group that came by and gave her a song and dance about "since you are so blessed by the lord as to have so much firewood you should share with the less fortunate". She told them to fill their truck as she was on the way out. When she got back two whole rows were gone. Naturally, the donation was all two and three year old oak, not a stick of sycamore or silver maple was touched.
If you want to convert ricks to cords, the wood was 20 to 22 inches long and a rick is 4 feet high and 8 feet long.

Sounds like your wife needs to learn when to make a phonecall.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

"since you are so blessed by the lord as to have so much firewood you should share with the less fortunate".

Yep. You are so blessed because you worked for it. They are less fortunate because they do not have your work ethic. Why should they? The lord will give them some wood. Really hate it when people use religion to guilt someone into giving them what you worked so hard to obtain.

Now, if I offer it to you because the lord has blessed me, that is entirely different.

Ted

Id be more upset with the wife than some church group . She should have set a limit for them I guess or call you . Its easy to think up a scenario where some lazy drunk guy who refuses to get off his couch just takes that wood instead of doing it himself * but what if you helped out a real person struggling and who is trying like a single mom who needed that wood to keep from freezing what if its not what you thought and you did a great service without realizing it .

When she talked to them there were two adults and a child in a long bed pick-up. She was gone for several hours and has no idea what they hauled with or how many trips. I normally give away about a quarter of the wood I cut and split, not counting the wood that heats four little old ladies homes in our community, but I want to choose who gets it.
They did leave a receipt and a thank you note. Along with some tracts that may make good fire starters.

Speaking of trucks, they have an empty truck and two adults...all they need is a saw, go cut their own someplace.

How many of us all started this way. Most of the people who put effort into getting things for free could have put that effort into getting it themselves.

Sent from the shitter, the only place it get to read arboristsite!

I know most dont share this same theology as me but If your doing your giving for the right cause and your hearts in the right place does it really matter who got what or if you they needed it badly enough or not according to you. ? . . I mean You can't earn your way to heaven by handing out firewood but you do it because you show fruits of what's in your heart . If they took it out of greed or malice that's on them, they will have to ansewer to that some day .. the important thing is you did what you should do and can sleep at night and that was admirable of you and if those little old ladies you cut for you dont give you the credit you deserve than I will. - good job bro and keep up the good fight . If more people shared their resources like that then you'd see a lot less people freezing in the cold ( it still happens right here folks) and less child hunger in our own country. Yes there are lazy user types but there are also genuine people who have nothing

Last edited:
At 5 cord taken, hopefully you can sleep not freezing your but off. A lot of people do all they can do in a whole year to get that much wood.

I call scam artists. Two adults and a kid in a p/u truck ? I don't know ANY church group that would door step people like that. and taking that much wood ? BS!

sounds like the lazy relative who took trailer full of good wood...we all remember that one don't we ;)

and sorry but your wife should have said she'd need to talk to you first.

damn this pisses me off, esp with the weather we're having now.

I call scam artists. Two adults and a kid in a p/u truck ? I don't know ANY church group that would door step people like that. and taking that much wood ? BS!

sounds like the lazy relative who took trailer full of good wood...we all remember that one don't we ;)

and sorry but your wife should have said she'd need to talk to you first.

damn this pisses me off, esp with the weather we're having now.
Couldn't agree more.....

I know most dont share this same theology as me but If your doing your giving for the right cause and your hearts in the right place does it really matter who got what or if you they needed it badly enough or not according to you. ? . . I mean You can't earn your way to heaven by handing out firewood but you do it because you show fruits of what's in your heart . If they took it out of greed or malice that's on them, they will have to ansewer to that some day .. the important thing is you did what you should do and can sleep at night and that was admirable of you and if those little old ladies you cut for you dont give you the credit you deserve than I will. - good job bro and keep up the good fight . If more people shared their resources like that then you'd see a lot less people freezing in the cold ( it still happens right here folks) and less child hunger in our own country. Yes there are lazy user types but there are also genuine people who have nothing
I'm not planning on getting to heaven. Don't believe in afterlife, don't expect to be rewarded for good or punished for bad. Believe in live and let live. Not anti-religion just do what feels right and don't worry a lot. None of us will get cold, might have to clean the flues a little more often than planed.
She doesn't need to check with me, it's her wood as much as mine.

Latest posts

Back