Cinsidering Woodland Mills BSM for small farmstead

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rearden

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wife number last and I have finally decided to flee our rural suburb and run to the Eastern Shore DelMarVa peninsula. Found a nice ten acres on the water cheap, and while the house is small and dated, I prefer it over the McMansion lifestyle we are leaving behind. We've been raising most of our own food and some poultry for a while now and figure the country digs is a better fit for adding some minor livestock - maybe a steer and a pig or two. Anyway, the land is mostly wooded and includes a 100' buffer along the water where we can't do much of anything, but I have been told that Big Bruva will tolerate some selective harvesting within that area as long as we replant, etc., etc.

Since there appears to be a fairly good number of mixed hardwoods (mostly red and white oak) of decent size (24 - 30") for milling, we were thinking that a band saw mill might prove well worthwhile - given the number of projects, fences, pens, stable, and out buildings that I'll likely be constructing. We have family in the area who also have some nice older hardwood stands that they would be interested in thinning and clearing, so the investment looks like it can pay for itself fairly quickly. That said, I hadn't really looked at any of these for years. The first one that kind'a caught my eye was also one of the least expensive (imagine that?). It's made by Canadians... but I'm willing to take a gamble on it anyway.

Woodland Mills — Portable Sawmill

Just kidding... it's actually made for a Canadian company by Chi-coms (even more shocking, eh?). The guts of it seem straight forward enough. It uses off the shelf bearings, blades and belts, and comes with a 9.5 hp Kohler Commander engine. I have a similar model on my Troy tiller, and it has been a tank for almost 20 years, so I'm pretty comfortable with the whole of it. Total with an extra track extension for cutting up to 16', plus a few doo-dads and shipping would end up runnin' about $3,700 delivered. There's already a nice pole barn on the property where it can live, and I've got the steel, trailer parts and welder to fab up a means of making it portable. Just curious if anyone has any other ideas that might provide similar capabilities in that price range. I do prefer Honda power over all others, but the Kohler is a comfortable second choice. I also have an 18" re-saw band saw, jointers, a gang saw, moulder, drum sanders, and several planers that'll be moving to my new shop, so I can finish just about anything that the mill can cut.

Also had an idea that I was thinking of adding later. Years ago my brother and I built an expanding cargo trailer that enclosed a partial cabinet/trim shop on wheels. The sides swung up and out, the roof would elevate, and the resultant workspace was an open pavilion almost three times the foot print of the trailer. We started with hand cranked double leg levelers, but that got old real quick, plus it was still hard to get just right unless the parking area was billiard table flat. What we ended up doing was re-purposing some old hydraulic cylinders and installing a 12v. pump, reservoir, valves and what not to make it a lot more single point control with no sweat. Looking at some of the log lifting arms that others have fabricated or bought with their mill, I can see that these would all be worthy additions. Not sure about sticking with the 12v. power and batteries, but I've got a few generators to spare as well - so maybe that could be worked in. Anyway ideas, suggestions, whatever, are welcomed... that's how I've learned pretty much everything I know, and I'm not too smart or proud to not copy.

I wasn't initially interested in starting another business or career, but I do build strip kayaks, canoes, cabinetry and some furniture still (as health allows), and I'll have the time and space to dedicate to drying, so this thing may end up getting the crap worked out of it in the long term.

Shop around & maybe expand your budget if possible. EZ-Boardwalk, Norwood, Linn, WoodMizer, etc. all make nice mills & are made here in country. Hudson isn't too far from where you're at and they make a range of saws relatively near your budget. The EZ-Boardwalk Jr. is in the same price range but much heavier duty, 13hp Honda, & will slab through any of the bigger logs that you can handle. Spending a few more dollars gets you a whole lot more saw, American made. It's your decision to make, your money to spend. Nobody can tell you how to spend it. I like your plans & it seems you are in a good position to have a mill. Good luck whatever you decide :)

I agree with qbuilder. While the 9.5 hp Woodland Mills BSM is sufficient for a hobbiest woodworker cutting their own lumber, it will struggle to cut that 24" - 30" diameter Oak you referenced. My mill has a 13 hp engine and it struggles with Oak logs of that size.

I'd advise you to get the most mill you can afford, even considering hydraulic mills. Handling and turning large, heavy logs is not easy when doing it manually. In fact, it's a whole lot like work.

Shop around & maybe expand your budget if possible. EZ-Boardwalk, Norwood, Linn, WoodMizer, etc. all make nice mills & are made here in country. Hudson isn't too far from where you're at and they make a range of saws relatively near your budget. The EZ-Boardwalk Jr. is in the same price range but much heavier duty, 13hp Honda, & will slab through any of the bigger logs that you can handle. Spending a few more dollars gets you a whole lot more saw, American made. It's your decision to make, your money to spend. Nobody can tell you how to spend it. I like your plans & it seems you are in a good position to have a mill. Good luck whatever you decide :)

Damn you and your suggesting Wood Mizer. First looked at them years ago and thought they were great... but beyond my means at the time. Started looking at the EZ Boardwalk Jr. and that seemed promising, particularly with the Honda power, and I should'a stopped there. But Nooo... now I want a 25 hp Honda and all hydraulic handling... what have you done?! ;)
Were it up to me, I never have any difficulty rationalizing the exchange of scrip for quality tools... it's just that I have this wife thing... and sometimes she's a little less enthusiastic about my ideas. Somethin' about wantin' a new car or some such nonsense. I offered to get her some spiffy new seat covers and a new car scented air freshener, but she ain't havin' it. Might have to go dig up some of my shiny metal for this one.

I agree with qbuilder. While the 9.5 hp Woodland Mills BSM is sufficient for a hobbiest woodworker cutting their own lumber, it will struggle to cut that 24" - 30" diameter Oak you referenced. My mill has a 13 hp engine and it struggles with Oak logs of that size.

I'd advise you to get the most mill you can afford, even considering hydraulic mills. Handling and turning large, heavy logs is not easy when doing it manually. In fact, it's a whole lot like work.

Point well taken. While I do have a grapple for our tractor for movin' logs, that ain't gonna turn 'em, and loadin' could be a little touchy. You're also right on about the oak warning, since 90% of what I anticipate cutting down there is gonna be red and white oak most days. Like I said, I can fabricate just about anything, and the Linn packages are another possibility on that note, but I was wonderin' just what you mean when you say that yours struggles even with the 13 hp Honda. Also, does that 15 degree cutting angle on the EZ Boardwalk Jr. really make that much difference, or is it just snake oil?

The most impressive starter mill i've ever milled with, is Norwoods ML26.

standard.jpg

It really is a well built built, great design that does a great job. I'd say it's worth the extra money in a heardbeat!

SR

The most impressive starter mill i've ever milled with, is Norwoods ML26.

standard.jpg

It really is a well built built, great design that does a great job. I'd say it's worth the extra money in a heardbeat!

SR

Not tryin' to be a smart ass, but what other mills have you worked with? Not disrespectin' your opinion, just trying to qualify your point of reference.

I did work with an old circ saw mill many moons ago, while helping some friends build a cabin in the U.P. I could'a sworn it was made by Wood Mizer, but I could be wrong. At that time I hadn't even heard of band saw mills, but the pine logs we were processing were plentiful and the saw was already there (and a scary sumbeach it was as I recall). I've also built a couple of CNC wood milling machines that used similar principals in terms of guide rails and bearings to carry a cutting head/spindle. Even in those relatively light duty applications - by comparison in terms of the weights involved, even specially hardened rails wear, and of course bearings eventually fail. I've worked with regular shop band saws quite a bit, and the composition of the wheels & tires (driving the blade) were significant (eg., comparing iron vs. alloy, along with how they are adjusted to planar and supported), but I'm at a loss as to how all of this relates when sawing heavy timbers. Should I be more concerned with the saw's drive mechanism or the carriage or rails for example. Also finishes and welds can vary widely. With the Chi-com mill, I pretty much know that I'll be welding up their bolt together assemblies and dealing with a suspect finish. Likewise their castings often leave a lot to be desired, but most of the manufacturers of band saw components have their wheels cast in China anyway, so with this globalization crap you never really know just what you're really getting.

Not necessarily my primary plan, but I may end up dragging this thing all over three counties. I had already figured on using some of the steel and trailer parts that I have to make the mill mobile. Other than the engine power choices, I'm curious about any experiences that people might have with the variety of carriages and rail systems, among other things. It's pretty obvious that the accessories to lift and position logs are a great item, but I'm thinkin' I can add them to almost anybody's mill. They all seem capable, just wondering if anybody has any more 'A' - 'B' comparative working experiences. I appreciate all of the input - even if I may not sound like it. Just tryin' to be thorough and avoid buyin' a Beta Max.

I'm not sure if the EZBW angle does anything or not. Folks who have the mills all claim it cuts real nice & effortless. I do know that a slight angle changes the way wood will cut, but not sure the mill has enough angle to make that difference. When quartering a log with chainsaw, holding it at an angle increases speed and peels off shavings. Running straight through like a mill, and the cutting is a little slower & I get chips more than peelings. Whether or not the same effect occurs with band mills or not, I simply don't know but would assume so. What I do know is that the EZBW has a very sturdy frame/track and is rock solid. It's much heavier duty than the Woodland Mills saw. That will make a difference if you are milling fair sized oaks. It will also cut through a 30" log, meaning it was designed to support such a beast. My opinion (opinions are like #######s) is that the EZBW is in a completely different league than the Woodland. It's the heaviest & most capable saw I have seen under $5G's.

I have a mill that's modeled after the Linn 1900. It also has a 30" throat, but the track isn't as heavy as the EZBW. It has a 16hp electric start & does just fine cutting through anything I want to cut. It has bogged down a little on larger seasoned oak logs, but I haven't seen it struggle on anything yet. I have cut white oak, cherry, hard maple, pine, walnut, & cedar that pushed it's size limits and it handled them fine. I'm a big, young, strong guy and can handle any log that will fit the mill with a 60" Log-rite cant hook. But I may want some hydraulics later on. If I had it to do over, i'd have bought the EZBW instead of what I got. I was already familiar with Linn though from working with it on the family farm & knew what I would be getting with my own. I needed a big throat for quarter sawing as I mostly cut quartered maple for billiard cues.

Here's a pic of a cherry slab I cut for my old man. The mill had no problem slicing through the log. It's going to be a bar top in their cabin. Not something I typically cut, but I can when I want to. As far as I know, the EZBW is the only band mill under $6G's with the capability of making a slab this large. Like I say, not a necessity by any means, but a nice capability to have.
DSC02882.jpg

I bought my first BSM in 1996, i've went to the EXPO's and many sawmill shows since and i'll mill on anything anyone will let me run.

I probably don't remember them all, but the starter mills off the top of my head are, Woodmizer 10, 15, at least 3 or 4 Hudsons, the Johnsered wouldn't even work so i couldn't try that one. Norwoods Lumbermate Mark 3, 4, 5, LM2000, 24, 26, 34... Ezzboardwalk model compared to the LM2000 (forget the model. Timber King 1200 ? and one other one, Baker, don't know the model and several others. SO, i do have some knowledge of BSM's and how they compare.

SR

I own a Norwood ML26, and its been great, but I have also used the Woodland Mills HM126.

Both of them get the job done, some things on each mill work better than the other, and some not. One point, the Norwood spares are much more complex and tend to be pricey, not an each fab yourself or local shop project. Most on the Woodland can be fabbed or sourced locally. Mill decision really depends upon the end user and there expectations/abilities.

9hp is more than enough to cut the hardest of hardwood, all that is affected is ones feed rate.

Watch how they both work, then consider if you want to gas and go or lock, lock, then make sure you didn't forget to lock one, then gas and go!

I'm not sure if the EZBW angle does anything or not. Folks who have the mills all claim it cuts real nice & effortless. I do know that a slight angle changes the way wood will cut, but not sure the mill has enough angle to make that difference. When quartering a log with chainsaw, holding it at an angle increases speed and peels off shavings. Running straight through like a mill, and the cutting is a little slower & I get chips more than peelings. Whether or not the same effect occurs with band mills or not, I simply don't know but would assume so. What I do know is that the EZBW has a very sturdy frame/track and is rock solid. It's much heavier duty than the Woodland Mills saw. That will make a difference if you are milling fair sized oaks. It will also cut through a 30" log, meaning it was designed to support such a beast. My opinion (opinions are like #######s) is that the EZBW is in a completely different league than the Woodland. It's the heaviest & most capable saw I have seen under $5G's.

I have a mill that's modeled after the Linn 1900. It also has a 30" throat, but the track isn't as heavy as the EZBW. It has a 16hp electric start & does just fine cutting through anything I want to cut. It has bogged down a little on larger seasoned oak logs, but I haven't seen it struggle on anything yet. I have cut white oak, cherry, hard maple, pine, walnut, & cedar that pushed it's size limits and it handled them fine. I'm a big, young, strong guy and can handle any log that will fit the mill with a 60" Log-rite cant hook. But I may want some hydraulics later on. If I had it to do over, i'd have bought the EZBW instead of what I got. I was already familiar with Linn though from working with it on the family farm & knew what I would be getting with my own. I needed a big throat for quarter sawing as I mostly cut quartered maple for billiard cues.

Here's a pic of a cherry slab I cut for my old man. The mill had no problem slicing through the log. It's going to be a bar top in their cabin. Not something I typically cut, but I can when I want to. As far as I know, the EZBW is the only band mill under $6G's with the capability of making a slab this large. Like I say, not a necessity by any means, but a nice capability to have.
DSC02882.jpg

'At's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Thank you for doing the thinking for me. Nice slab BTW.

I bought my first BSM in 1996, i've went to the EXPO's and many sawmill shows since and i'll mill on anything anyone will let me run.

I probably don't remember them all, but the starter mills off the top of my head are, Woodmizer 10, 15, at least 3 or 4 Hudsons, the Johnsered wouldn't even work so i couldn't try that one. Norwoods Lumbermate Mark 3, 4, 5, LM2000, 24, 26, 34... Ezzboardwalk model compared to the LM2000 (forget the model. Timber King 1200 ? and one other one, Baker, don't know the model and several others. SO, i do have some knowledge of BSM's and how they compare.

SR
Again... I wasn't tryin' to be a douche (wife says it's a gawd given talent requiring no real effort on my part) but it helps to understand the difference in experience between someone like yourself and somebody who just bought a particular model last month and needs to feel better about the dough that he dropped. Seriously appreciate the tolerant input. Think I'll try 'n get a hands on with the EZ and the Norwood.

Keep an eye out for CL finds, frequently I've seen LT15 size mill going for $5K or less. Lots of people thought they could mill and SELL lumber, then found out LOTS of people thought of that already.

For example, in the Poconos:
For sale Wood mizer portable band sawmill model LT-20 with trailer package includes manual log turner, 4 adjustable leveling outriggers, log loading ramps, 8 hp briggs&straton electric start engine, toe boards, waterlube bottle, power feed.
along with approx. 10 re sharpend like new blades and a couple that need resharp. and operators manual.
Has approxamatley 500 hours of use on it, well maintained and all original.
All functions including motor are in excellant working condition, and ready to be used.
Can be seen in action. $5200.00 neg

Last edited:
Keep an eye out for CL finds, frequently I've seen LT15 size mill going for $5K or less. Lots of people thought they could mill and SELL lumber, then found out LOTS of people thought of that already.

For example, in the Poconos:

I've driven further for less. Thanks.

Yeah it seems like some kind of primal business maxim - the more "obvious" it seems that you can't miss...

My son was certain that his military grade metal detector was the key to easy riches while ogling tail on the beach. At least I have a really good metal detector for checkin' my logs now. ;)

I had been watching CL, but I guess I'd better widen the search.

Here's one from Sawmillcreek.org
Now is your chance! I am selling my Woodmizer LT15. It has cutting length capacity of 11 feet and can cut up to a 26" diameter log. It has a 15 HP Kohler engine with about 400 hours on it. The mill is in good condition and cuts very accurately. With a helper and good logs, you can cut 1000 BF per day if you are willing to work hard! Price is $4300.

That's about what I paid for my LT10 with all the extras I got.

Location Perry, GA

I'm still cutting a lot of wood with my HF mill which is made by the same Chinese company that makes the wood land. For the $1700+ I paid for it I can't complain. I did buy 1 extra of most the moving parts as servies can be a proplem. I do cut mostly pine. I have a skidstreer so the manual mill is not so much work.

Like I said, I can fabricate just about anything, and the Linn packages are another possibility on that note, but I was wonderin' just what you mean when you say that yours struggles even with the 13 hp Honda. Also, does that 15 degree cutting angle on the EZ Boardwalk Jr. really make that much difference, or is it just snake oil?

The 13 hp engine will cut 30" Oak, it's just extremely slow. Horsepower is king in band mills.

I have no idea about the 15 degree cutting angle on the EZ Boardwalk Jr. Thinking about it, I can see that it might help pull the blade through the cut but the log diameter doesn't change. In fact, the diameter it is cutting actually gets a bit wider with the blade angled.

Yeeeeeah well... I'm gettin' up there age wise, and even with a grapple, I'm not real keen on wrastlin' any big timber . It's lookin' like a used unit is in my future with as much Honda or Kohler goodness as can be had. Thanks all for the thoughtful input.

Yeeeeeah well... I'm gettin' up there age wise, and even with a grapple, I'm not real keen on wrastlin' any big timber . It's lookin' like a used unit is in my future with as much Honda or Kohler goodness as can be had. Thanks all for the thoughtful input.

Personally, i like the B&S "Vanguard" motors better than a Kohler or a Honda... The Vanguards are very long lasting motors, don't have the problems in cold weather the Honda's have and are cheaper/easier to work on than a Kohler, and for me, use less gas.

Make mine a Vanguard pleaseeee!

SR

Personally, i like the B&S "Vanguard" motors better than a Kohler or a Honda... The Vanguards are very long lasting motors, don't have the problems in cold weather the Honda's have and are cheaper/easier to work on than a Kohler, and for me, use less gas.

Make mine a Vanguard pleaseeee!

SR

Rob,

The Honda always had a winter kit available for it, just the mill manufacturer forgot to order/include it, all the Honda woes on townhall are just lack of knowledge.

I have never had a Kohler or Briggs be more fuel efficent or longer lasting than a Honda. I work on OPE everyday and am certified by all three manufacturers, give me a honda or kohler anyday, briggs if I have to.

Briggs are cheaper to work on yes, solely because the junk they are built with doesn't warrant a real price. In the last 10 years the quality has near dropped off the face of the earth with them.
but yes they are cheap to work on, and expensive to buy.

Personaly my experience,
Jeremy

Rob,

The Honda always had a winter kit available for it, just the mill manufacturer forgot to order/include it, all the Honda woes on townhall are just lack of knowledge.

I have never had a Kohler or Briggs be more fuel efficent or longer lasting than a Honda. I work on OPE everyday and am certified by all three manufacturers, give me a honda or kohler anyday, briggs if I have to.

Briggs are cheaper to work on yes, solely because the junk they are built with doesn't warrant a real price. In the last 10 years the quality has near dropped off the face of the earth with them.
but yes they are cheap to work on, and expensive to buy.

Personaly my experience,
Jeremy

You have had a VERY much difference experience than me. I probably have 20 small gas motors around here right now, and i like my Vanguard the best. Don't lump all of the other Briggs line with the Vanguard line!

That heat deflector isn't the answer for the Honda's, it's a cheapo partial fix, that doesn't always work. A big mfg. over here quit Honda all together because they got sick of the Honda's problems in cold weather. They mfg tree trimmers, and went to Vanguards.

Some of the ATV's that use Honda's had to come up with complicated fixes for the Honda's too, then there's Honda's lack of warr. when you need it!

Norwood quit Honda's for more reasons than the cold weather problems they have!

I'm not saying Kohlers are junk, but i'll take a Vanguard over a Kohler every time. My Grass Hopper/CIH/Cub Caddet dealer has replaced quite a few OHV Kohlers, that for no reason dropped a valve with low hrs. on them. They now carry Hoppers with the Kubota gas motors as much as possible. They are a great gas motor! I have a Kubota gas motor on a pump, it runs like a million bucks, just like it always has since it was new in the early 80's.

I stand by my origional post, because that's what i've found to be true over all the years i've been buying and useing small gas motors.

SR

Back