Cleaned decompression valve - still sticks...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But add the tax and you don't have much left of a 5$ bill, still a very good value. The finger drill they sell is a bit of a pain to use. I have used the holder to chuck the bits into a small hand drill and it worked well, but you need to be very careful not to break the bits off.

Last edited:
Update:

Well I got the drills. Biggest one was only 0.039, compared with the existing 0.032 as you said.

Drilled it with the dremmel - easiest job I think I can ever remember! It drilled in about 3 seconds, those skinnies are really flexible.

The saw starts better, but it still kicks. I guess I'll try a bigger hole next.

Cheers,

Dean
(ps that drill set is awesome, for $3.75)

DeanBrown3D said:
Well I got the drills. Biggest one was only 0.039, compared with the existing 0.032 as you said.

Drilled it with the dremmel - easiest job I think I can ever remember! It drilled in about 3 seconds, those skinnies are really flexible.

The saw starts better, but it still kicks. I guess I'll try a bigger hole next.

Cheers,

Dean
(ps that drill set is awesome, for $3.75)

Try a new decomp valve... you're just compensating for a worn valve and it's going to bite you...

DeanBrown3D said:
Its not the money, according to the above its an improvement. It was doing this almost from new.

Maye so, but what if it was bad from new? There are 10's of thousands of these in use without a problem....

It is possible that the valve on my 066 was bad from new, it was always nasty to start, esp if warm, cleand the valve and found there was no change. Drilled it out, problem solved to this day. Now that the saw has a few more pounds of compression (minor mod) I am very glad the decomp works!

Before I drilled it out the handle snapped out of my hand a few times, once putting a bump half the size of a golf ball on my left thumb, once cracking the top cover of the saw.

Hey, if you drill it out and it still causes problems, maybe the valve has other problems, replace it. The 5$ spent on the drills wont be a waste.

You can drill all you want but that only opens up the bleed hole. You could still have some blockage in the chamber of the valve.

I connected one end of a rubber hose to the valves threaded end and the other to my compressed air hole and gave it a blast.

That's what fixed my 046 problem.

Latest posts

Back