Cleaned up my cylinder after I straight gassed it, is it wrecked?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gu_42

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I cleaned up my stihl cylinder after straight gassing it, it came up well except for 1 spot.

You can see it in this picture, I think its a chip in the plating.

I've since rebuilt it with a meteor cylinder, i'm just wondering if I can use this if the meteor doesn't last? Or is it stuffed due to the chip?

Attachments

• 20191216_172231.jpg
    20191216_172231.jpg
    747.6 KB · Views: 115
461? Looks fine too me. I would just make sure that chip isn't gong to chip more.

Ye its a 461, how do i make sure it wont chip further? It doesn't "look" like it will

I cleaned up my stihl cylinder after straight gassing it, it came up well except for 1 spot.

I've since rebuilt it with a meteor cylinder, i'm just wondering if I can use this if the meteor doesn't last? Or is it stuffed due to the chip?
Trash it. That chip in the plating is going to be a problem later on. If you are keeping the saw and need it immediately then you can put a new piston and run it. It might last a half tank or less, or it might last 2 years but probably the former.

Also if its above the exhaust port then you will lose compression every time the ring passes over it.

Make sure the edges are feathered out. Marshy it’s over the intake. Compression loss would be minimal. I don’t see any issue in running it in a personal saw.

Yep, blend it in and give it a try. It does look to be above the transfers so it close to being in the compression area of the stroke...

What is that other imperfection seen in the photo near the roof of the combustion chamber? Is that more transfer or an optical delusion?

I think what looks like a ripple is an illusion, ill double check the cylinder

Just had a look, the chip is the only damage.

It must be the light thats making that ripple show up in the picture

Back