Cleaning firebox on Central Boiler Classic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrothead600

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just installed a Central Boiler Classic 5036.
I was wodering how you guys go about cleaning the inside of the firebox & how often you do it. Everytime I add wood or stir the coals, I run my ash rake along the top & sides to drop any loose deposits. About once a week, I will take a flat blade ice scraper & scrape the sidewalls of the firebox. Niether method is doing very well on the ripples in the top of the box.
Should I worry about scraping it clean once in a while or should I just continue to dislodge the loose stuff?

I just let good hot fires do the trick. I burn a lot of greenwood. I know seasoned would be better but green does just fine for me. I get a lot of build up but it takes care of it's self. The main thing you have to look at is the flapper door seal(make sure there is no build up around it) and the door seal.

Scott

I never bother to scrape the sides of mine either, I usually shovel the ash out once a month. Let it burn down some, push the hot coals to the back, shovel out your ash, and then pull the hot coals foward....add wood and your done! :clap:

I've had mine 8 seasons and do minimal cleaning. I scrape the ceiling as best I can and the walls about once a month. A lot of what I burn has higher moisture content so i get some buildup. Once a season I burn a creosote log then dig out the chimney trap. I have never climbed into the box with a scraper blade like the Central Boiler people recommend.....just not happening..... :eek2:

I was wodering how you guys go about cleaning the inside of the firebox & how often you do it. Everytime I add wood or stir the coals, I run my ash rake along the top & sides to drop any loose deposits. About once a week, I will take a flat blade ice scraper & scrape the sidewalls of the firebox. Niether method is doing very well on the ripples in the top of the box.
Should I worry about scraping it clean once in a while or should I just continue to dislodge the loose stuff?

I do my 6048 classic the same way as you. At the end of the heating season, I scrape what I can and shovel it out till clean.....then I have a scrub brush on a long pole to pull ash towards the front and use a scraper to remove. Finally, I pour enough oil / 10w-30w or tranny fluid, etc. ....to cover the floor of the burner til next season.

Ive had mine 3 winters now and Im still leaening stuff. What kind of rake do you all use? I have been using a garden hoe sence I been running the thing.

Ive had mine 3 winters now and Im still leaening stuff. What kind of rake do you all use? I have been using a garden hoe sence I been running the thing.

My Central dealer gave me a metal handled hoe when I bought my OWB. The handle is about 7' Long and it has nice square edges for scraping.

I am using a narrow, long tined rake with a wooden handle. I believe it is called a tomato rake or a cultivator rake. I think I paid about $6 at Menards. Works good for raking the ashes & bringing the coals to the surface. Also works good to scrape the ash line.

You can knock the flakes and crunchies loose, but the black "tar" works like paint to preserve the steel.

Good point. I guess I'll continue to knock down the stuff that will come off & keep the ash line scraped & not loose any sleep over the rest of it.
Then I'll give it a thurogh cleaning in the spring.

You can get a flat blade scraper at home Depot. It's a similar length as a shovel, does a good job of knocking the stuff off of the walls. I scrape about once a week or two.

Latest posts

Back