Cleaning out a chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drain the gas into a jar, drain the oil put the gas in the oil tank, swish it around then dump the oil tank again. Leave the caps off for about a day then install the caps wrap the saw in a heavey plastic bag and then box/ship it.

Never had a problem with bagging them up good and tying it. I then pack it good so it wont move around and stay upright in the box with plenty of space on all sides. I also put some whole newspapers under the saw in the bag to soak up any left over oil.

I once received a saw I bought on Ebay, came across the state with a full tank of stale gas! Man did it stink was just thrown in there and started to soak through when it got to me. Must have really stunk up the UPS truck:eek:

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
P-
The problem with putting something 'under' the saw to catch the drips is that the saw typically ends up making most of the ride upsidedown. Cleaning up a saw that someone shipped to me without draining the oil is a pain and I think it's inconsiderate on the part of the shipper.

Thats the general idea it probably doesnt do much but just incase. You really can't get all the bar oil out unless you disassemble and meticulously clean the workings of the oiler and tank/lines etc. Some will most likely drip out on the way. Yes I do drain all fluids from saws I ship but never found it necessary to tear it down to get all the oil out.

The way I do it is the same as everyone else's, drain out everything, clean surface dirt off and put it in the heavey plastice bag followed by double boxing.

Its no so much a courtesy to the reciever as it is a safety measure to drain the gas/oil from a saw, just imagine what would happen if it caught fire with a full tank of gas. its just safer to drain it out.

I sent out a dead homelite and the UPS guy (at the UPS store) flipped when I told him it was a chainsaw that was used. (It was drained completely and the gas cap was off for a day or two.) He unpacked it, stuck his nose inn the tank and wouldn't ship it because he could faintly smell gas. :rolleyes: I got a new saw before shiped UPS from a dealer that had a little gas that didn't get dumped out all the way after they started it and set it. Knowing that I took the saw to a different UPS store, right after I left there and told them it was a powersaw. Shipped no problem.

Doug

when we flew on the Shots, we would clean the tanks out with fuel then empty them, and spray in purge, when it evaporated the saw tanks were bone dry. Never was quite sure what the stuff was maybe ether.

My way is faster...

Don't do **** all about draining the gas or the oil, but be sure to place a fish in with the saw. That way the reciever will be so p!ssed off about the smell of the rotten fish that he wont care about the oil and gas in the saw.

Latest posts

Back