Chainsaw dying at full throttle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBigDog

Reaction score
Chainsaw starts a dream, runs well up to 3/4 throttle, then bogs down and dies at full throttle. Replaced fuel line, and cleaned carby out carby, adjusted high and low too.

Spraying engine starter fluid into carby makes it work at full throttle for a minute or so before dying again.

Any ideas? Cheers

A loose or cracked impulse line will cause this also, te engine is running out of fuel.
I second this,
the impulse grommet on my 55 I recently serviced was running like the OP mentioned, would run good till about 3/4 throttle but then scream and lean right out up top and then bog and quit, turned out being a massive air leak at the impulse grommet. Although it could be anywhere along your intake tract that had a seal too I believe.

You're already seeing a lean condition (bad for engine for several reasons, heat, lack of lubrication, etc) and spraying starter fluid into the engine means it's running longer with even less oil. So stop doing that.

Previous posters have suggested numerous possible causes, troubleshoot or fix those things first, most of them are cheap depending on exactly what model you have. Hopefully you haven't caused significant damage to the cylinder/piston by running it on starter fluid too much.

Latest posts

Back