Cleaning out an old muffler? It is crimped together.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i put my mufflers in the fire pit to clean them even old lawn boy 2 stroke mufflers the only way i have found to effectively clean them
they smoke and belch fire for a few minutes then the carbon powders out.

If you have a machine shop close by ask if they can drop it in the hot tank for a while. I have done that with many two stroke exhaust. They come out like new, usually shiny bare clean metal. Or if you want to do it cheap clean and yourself. You can fill it with orange clean oven cleaner. Let it sit for a while and then power wash it out.

I have done both and both work well.

i had a honda eu1000i generator with a completely plugged muff. literally through that SOB in the wood stove overnight at our old house. the thing still runs great but wouldn't even fart before.

I used some high temp paint I had for a smoker I worked on. I think it was just super high temp rattle can paint. You don't have to build a giant fire to take care of the problem and I wouldn't think it would need to burn longer than 30 minutes or so. If you burn it on a giant fire for hours you could probably damage it.

Jug head can prolly give you more info as I've only done it once.

Ok! Even better. Just a small fire and watch for the smoke or flame to stop.

How is this for barbacue paint? http://www.autozone.com/paint-and-b.../rust-oleum-black-bbq-stove-paint/631973_0_0/

It is amazing the difference in High temp paint and silicone and the regular. When needed, they are invaluable.

The best way I have found is put the muffler in a vice. Take a hand held propane torch, flat screw driver. Hold the torch in one place till almost glowing red and walk the screwdriver around the crimp edge.
yep!!! and have some water in a container,,to cool the screwdriver off after each application.....don't ask!

I used Red Devil lye 1 can to 4 gal water put muffler on wire come back in a few weeks or so. Learned lye deal from cleaning cast iron cookware. You can leave it in solution for months it won't hurt it or rust as long as it's submerged. I do like the fire deal it's a lot faster. Had real good results w/Rusteoleum Ultra hi temp satin finish.
Shep

Where was this thread a few months ago when I did my 288? I put some road gravel and orange solve in mine. Taped it up and shook like heck. It cleaned up well but fire sounds a lot easier.

dont know.
i just use high temp exhaust paint.. i warm the muffler up to 200 degrees and paint them and throw them back in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 mins. so far so good.
i wipe them down with prepsol before warming up and i dont use primer.

I wipe w/prepsol or lacquer thinner then coat w/Rustoleum Rust Reformer then a coat of ULTRA. I bake em too. The Reformer not only kills any surface rust it is a hard finish that also works as primer. Painted my metal work bench top 8 yrs ago w/Reformer still holding up great.
Shep

I'll vouch for stihl decarbonizer, the stuff eats carbon really well. I used it on the internals of a br550 blower and the carbon just turns to liquid. Worth a try.

Back