Cleaning saws...whatcha use??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawGarage

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Curious as to what others use to clean saws, in general, and/or for full teardown....

my philosophy is: the job is dirty enough, I hate working on greasy sh**ty saws.

I use safety glasses (well, I should...usually it's closed eyes, and turn head...:dizzy:)

A: Hit with compressed air to get the big stuff off
B: Castrol SuperClean, big stiff bristle scrub brush, tooth brush (Wife's....please don't tell:jawdrop:) small 1" scraper, and a stick/toothpick, etc

One guy I know uses 50/50 diesel & gasoline...(must have a parts washer...that might be next on the list...)

I've heard of some people (having the LUXURY of) steam cleaning, or a big parts washing machine...must be nice!!

Jay

Last edited:
Pretty much the same here.
Old large canner to let parts soak in.(someday soon parts cleaner)
:popcorn:

Brake cleaner works on the plastic homeowner model Huskys and Stihls, the muck just lets loose. I wouldn't intentionally use it on painted parts because I don't know how it reacts to paint. Painted surfaces I use hot water with a little dish soap on a rag. scrub out the corners with an old toothbrush. Sap and bad grease, a rag with 90% rubbing alcohol. If you wax the painted surfaces with turtle wax after their detailed, they clean up a lot easier the next time.

My saws usually only get two "Good" cleanups while I own them, 1st to clean and inspect when I buy them, 2nd to clean and inspect before I sell them.

In between times I just use compressed air to blow the crap off of them.

There was a recent post from a member. He uses a dishwasher to clean up his saws. He recommended getting one for the shop (don't use the one in the house) and get one which heats the water.

Mean Green is what I use and WD-40 for gum and sap. WD-40 is great for disolving pine sap which is on a person's hands and then wash with soap and water.

How about the brown exhaust stain -- who has a good method to remove it?

Nosmo

One of the best gifts I gave my wife was a new dishwasher.

She didn't kiss me like she would of for a gold bracelet but she liked it.

And when she figured out what I wanted was the old monster for the shop, I had a chance to explain that I was just keeping her kitchen clean. And I got kissed again!

Like nosmo says, pre heat function, and use pots and pans setting. I do air dry not to bake the plastic. Also washes cosmoline off old gun parts.

One of the best gifts I gave my wife was a new dishwasher.

She didn't kiss me like she would of for a gold bracelet but she liked it.

And when she figured out what I wanted was the old monster for the shop, I had a chance to explain that I was just keeping her kitchen clean. And I got kissed again!

Like nosmo says, pre heat function, and use pots and pans setting. I do air dry not to bake the plastic. Also washes cosmoline off old gun parts.

Good thinkin' on reusing the old dishwasher! I got busted by my wife once for using the dishwasher to clean a H-D engine case after it was sand blasted. Needless to say, there was some "unpleasantness".

T
Mean Green is what I use and WD-40 for gum and sap. WD-40 is great for disolving pine sap

A good waterless hand cleaner works better on sap. Try it, you'll like it!

I use a disposable aluminum turkey roaster for a poor man's parts cleaner. It's big enough, and if it gets too grungy, toss it. I buy them at Costco in a pack of (I think) 15 or 20 or something like that. Cheap. BONUS - if it's a big and bulky part (like a saw), the sides are flexible enough to bend out of your way.

A good waterless hand cleaner works better on sap. Try it, you'll like it!

I use a disposable aluminum turkey roaster for a poor man's parts cleaner. It's big enough, and if it gets too grungy, toss it. I buy them at Costco in a pack of (I think) 15 or 20 or something like that. Cheap. BONUS - if it's a big and bulky part (like a saw), the sides are flexible enough to bend out of your way.

That sounds good. I use Bar Keeper's Friend and a sponge to remove exhaust stain. It is not super effective, but it will remove stuff without removing paint. Light scrubbing with a sponge. I wish I had a big ultrasonic to just dunk a saw into for about ten minutes. Maybe a dishwaher with a bit of Simple Green would be good. I dunno.

I use an air compressor to blow off the the chunks and then a good ole' scrub in the mineral spirits tank works good for mime. On things that I shouldn't put in the mineral spirits tank like some of the old painted stuff I use dishwashing liquid and hot water.

I clean the chains in mineral spirits. Scrub them over good with a small wire brush or tooth brush, blow off the excess with the air compressor and put them in a ziplock bag with a shot of bar oil. A few flips in there and they run great.

1. 175 PSI compressed air to get the bulk off
  2. Parts washer with Mineral Spirits/ Paint Thinner to get it clean.
  3. Wesleys whitewall cleaner for normal stain remover.
  4. Brake cleaner for tougher cleaning
  5. Carb cleaner with Methylene Chloride for removing the toughest stains and splattered paint.

Be careful with 4 and 5, as they can eventually actually remove the finish.

Last edited:
This Sh:censored:'s going to sound funny, but I bet it will work.

5 gallon bucket, put in your solvent and parts, get one of those cheap medium sized dildos, Duct tape the pleasure device to the side of the bucket so as to still reach the controls, Turn on plaesure device.....Voila your utlrasonic cleaning......LOL....:cheers::cheers:

1. 175 PSI compressed air to get the bulk off
  2. Parts washer with Mineral Spirits/ Paint Thinner to get it clean.
  3. Wesleys whitewall cleaner for normal stain remover.
  4. Brake cleaner for tougher cleaning
  5. Carb cleaner with Methylene Chloride for removing the toughest stains and splattered paint.

Be careful with 4 and 5, as they can eventually actually remove the finish.
What kind of compresser do you have?

Oh alright Brad. Thats lots of air. Ours runs up to about 120.

I use compressed air, simple green, greased lightning, carb/brake cleaner, wd40, rags, picks, scrapers, screwdrivers.
Sometimes the pressure washer :)

Latest posts

Back