Cleaning the flue cap screen from the bottom

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
I brush my flue twice a season, but the bristles aren't getting the screen at the top. I think it's loading up and reducing my draw. I'm getting more puffing than I was when I open the door to load. I was thinking of buying an 8" diameter brush and cutting about half the bristles off so it'll navigate the 6" pipe easier, but still spring out to get the screen at the top.

What do you fellas do to clean the screen other than climbing the roof?

Ian

Last edited:
I almost hate to post this, but will anyway. I usually pick a pretty decent day get my son a lawn chair set it in the door of the garage and have him knock as much off as he can with his pellet gun. I know, I know but I had the same problem and it works. You can see the junk fall off the underside of the cap and the screen holes open up as he does it. It does take a while but alot safer than climbing up on the roof in the winter. JMHO Scott

Might work if I had a little Red Ryder, but my pellet gun is a 22cal PCP. That thing is fairly potent.

Ian

I made a rig from some weedeater line clamped between some large fender washers. Attach it to my rods and chuck the bottom into a drill and give it a couple of good spins. I was really surprised at how well it works. Since this pic I've changed from .095 line to .155 which works even better.

IMG_2950.jpg

LJ, that looks like it would work pretty good for a straight run. I see some sold like that as a kit.

The compressor idea might work if I didn't have such a tall stack. I might just climb the roof. Gets my wife's heart rate up better than a 2 mile run.

Ian

Latest posts

Back