Cleaning up land/woods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've found a great way to clean up under brush and small trees around my property. HORSES!! We recently opened up some woods to our horses to give them some shelter from the elements, within 4 days they've eaten all the grass, moss, shrubs and small trees in the area. I was amazed how quickly they did it and how nice it look now. We have a swampy section between our 2 fields that we opened up on the weekend to see what they can do. We planned on maybe making a small retaining pond in the area but have no idea what it looks likes because it's so over grown. I took some before picture I'll take some after pictures and post them.

Goats will do the same thing for those interested in simply cleaning it up. Solar powered easily moved electric fence coupled with a few goats at $30-80 each and you just saved a bunch of time and gas/diesel. Nothing wrong with horses, goats are just easier to get ahold of cheap.

Here's a before and well today picture, they did eat abit espically over on the left had side by the bridge. As soon as they get used to it I'm sure it'll go fast.

imgp0150rj6.jpg

imgp0156kd3.jpg

Goats are "browsers" and will eat leaves and pick at bark on the trees. Their not really into grass or weeds. Horses and sheep are good for that. But be careful, Laurel is a killer of horses.

Heres a link for laurel http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/poison/plants/ppmount.htm. Being from Canada, you probably dont need to worry about the Laurel. But, here's a list of other plants poisonous to livestock.

oak
ragword
yew
laburnum
hemlock
laurel
rhododendron
foxglove
privet
bracken
horsetail
lupin