Cleaning up transfer on cylinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have cleaned up a few cylinders using a wooden dowel as a mandrel and sand paper. I have also used acid. I’ve read about a product called flex-hone and wondered if it would be a good way to also remove aluminum transfer. Does anyone use that tool to remove transfer? Thanks

I've ball honed many bike cylinders to dress them prior to fitting a new piston. They don't hurt the plating at all.
That`s totally different than trying to grind away aluminum transfer, that`s the part most don`t get. Dressing a cylinder is just a few revolutions in and out. Removing transfer is grinding away for minutes at a time. It does remove plating,on the port edges, have seen several with my own eyes where the palating was completely stripped away.

That`s totally different than trying to grind away aluminum transfer, that`s the part most don`t get. Dressing a cylinder is just a few revolutions in and out. Removing transfer is grinding away for minutes at a time. It does remove plating,on the port edges, have seen several with my own eyes where the palating was completely stripped away.
I gotcha.
In the first place IMO abrasive of any sort should be used to remove transfer. Targeted application of muriatic acid and as little as possible only.

I have used the acid method with the green scotch brite pads to get most of the transfer off the cylinder walls.
I then finished up the cylinder with a ball hone. As long as you do not go crazy with the ball hone it does not hurt anything. In fact when I port a saw I will run a ball hone through it to soften the edges of the ports. I have done lots and never a problem.
I would not recommend trying to remove all the transfer with a ball hone alone.

The best way is 120 grit then 240 grit 480 then like 600 and then 800 or 1000 grit to polish the trick is patience slow and easy sanding then polish scotch Brite and emery cloth I can make any cylinder better than new no acid or chemical not knocking you fellows that know how to properly do it with out etching I even have a Jacob's chuck band mandrel and hard stone chucks one right hand and a left and right hand backwards threads for sale if any ones interested make a good deal 20230202_151121.jpg

Latest posts

Back