Cleanup Day At the gun Club!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dapper Dan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Boy...What a great day and am I tired!

I swear one good honest day of hard work would kill this old man.

We had a great crew show up (15-16 people). Unusual....very unusual.

We have a huge old Oak tree at stage 2 (sickly) that has had a large dead limb directly over the shooters position for the last couple years that was a disaster waiting to happen. I rented this self contained man lift to take care of this and some other "widow-makers". After renting it...it dawned on me that since this was my idea it would surely be my job to run it. (and it was) This was a really cool outfit. Had two BIG 6 volt batteries plus a Honda gas motor if you ran outta juice. (ran all day on the batteries) It goes 45' up.

When I was younger I used to spray roof coatings on grain elevators at ridiculous heights without a thought. Now-a-days five foot off the ground creates this strange tingling in the genitals and slight nausea.

Anyway there were Ladies there and nobody else offering to get up in this rig so...I had to Cowboy up, pretend I wasn't chicken and ride it most of the day.

Strangley, the heights bothered me very little but getting used to the controls was positivley...nerve racking! I finally got pretty good at it just about the time we were finished.

Got to run some of my small saws today, too.
It was the maiden voyage for the 192T and it was most excellent in the bucket. Light, handy and a powerhouse for it's size. Never even slowed down. Also ran the little Makita 401 in the bucket when the limbs were too big for the 192. Last couple times out with the Makita was on the ground with the original saftey chain. Suprisingly it cut really good and would not bog. Today I had a new non saftey chain on it and seemed grabby and bogged some or just stopped occasionally.. Of course I was not able to control the feed as well in the awkward positions in the bucket and was more or less running it one handed. In the future I will run the saftey chain in the air and the other chain on the ground with that saw. Cut up a lot of wood on the ground with the 028 and it ripped!

Took the 7900 along but couldn't find anything big enough to use it on.

Split up a big pile of campfire wood with The Tim Taylor Logsplitter at the end of the day and it worked perfectly.

All in all....A great day.....now I'm going to have a wee toddy and go to bed.

Glad you survived the day. I used one of those lifts to install a new cap on my chimney and redo the crown. As I was by myself, I made it a point to keep a cell phone with me in case I couldn't get down. Might of needed the fire department.

Back