Clearance to 34.5kV line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supercut469

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys:

Anyone know how big of clearance should be maintained between branches and a 34.5 kV power line? I want to know how far back to trim. :chainsawguy:

I think 12 feet on both sides is about right but I dont do that myself and I am not 100%

just pulled this up

The ANSI A300 standard section 5.9.2.1.3 states:

Trees directly under and growing into or toward facility/utility spaces should be
removed or pruned. Such pruning should be done by removing entire branches or
by removing branches that have laterals growing into (or once pruned, will grow
into) the facility/utility space.

There are different clearance requirements depending on tree species, growth
characteristics, and voltage of the line. Tall fast growing trees like cottonwoods require
at least 12 feet of side clearance, at least 10 feet of overhanging clearance, and at least 14
feet of clearance underneath the distribution lines. Tall slow growing trees like pines
require at least 8 feet of side clearance, at least 10 feet of overhanging clearance, and at
least 10 feet of clearance underneath the distribution lines. Some pruning cuts are made
at the trunk to reduce the crown and eliminate the main central lead; the rest are pruned to
lateral branches large enough to support the remaining limbs. The lateral limbs that are
able to be pruned must provide necessary clearances and direct future growth away from
the power lines. Once clearances are obtained Electric Utilities can complete additional
pruning at the property owners request to help the appearance of the trees. However,
they will not top or round over tree’s.

Last edited:
Are you qualified to work around power? I mean really qualified?

The fact that hes asking such a question means hes either a troll or there could be an onset of darwinism sometime soon due to a complete failure to grasp the seriousness of the situation.

He is not likely to have the opportunity to regret what he might be about to do and at least as a smoking corpse he cant be prosecuted.

Supercut, seriously, you sound like a blind man trying to find your way to a minefield.

Last edited:
No clearance is meaning you have to be qualified to trim for power. Qualified means you have been trained in electrical hazards associated with this process and have worked in this capacity for enough time to show competence in handling situations that might arise. It is against the law for anyone not qualified to trim for power and or to be closer than 10 foot to any energized conductor , fixture or apparatus.

It is against the law for anyone not qualified to trim for power and or to be closer than 10 foot to any energized conductor , fixture or apparatus.
yep, you got to be a certified line clearance technician, if you're not then call the power company to have the tree trimmed to a safe distance for you.

yep, you got to be a certified line clearance technician, if you're not then call the power company to have the tree trimmed to a safe distance for you.

Actually no, qualified is the term unless it changed I have worked them 20+ years I have no
certification I know of but am definitely qualified.

Actually no, qualified is the term unless it changed I have worked them 20+ years I have no
certification I know of but am definitely qualified.
Really, You don't have to carry the card it must be the locations, here it's call "line clearance certification" and we had to carry the card, I was grandfathered in (as I'm sure you were) and didn't have to take the exams.

There's one more hangup too......Even if you are qualified/certified, you also need to be authorized by the company whose power the lines are carrying to trim around their lines. Otherwise, you're assuming some serious financial liability....which your insurance (if you have any) will not cover.

Qualified is important, and that means proper training - same as the Utility forestry department gets (that is where I started my work - and I was trained by the Utility forestry training units - and worked there for the beginning of my career)

But as mentioned you also need the proper authorization/permission, best to have the Utility company on site when you do it.

And depending upon size of tree limbs and proximity to the lines you may need to have special equipment (which most of us do not have). Certainally always ensure you have proper equipment before you begin (this may include insulated gloves, insulated boom on truck, etc).

Some tree species are better conductors than others, and at higher voltages you do not want to play around - better to ask the questions and be safe first then have somebody else worry about it later (because you may not be there to worry!).

Qualified is important, and that means proper training - same as the Utility forestry department gets (that is where I started my work - and I was trained by the Utility forestry training units - and worked there for the beginning of my career)

But as mentioned you also need the proper authorization/permission, best to have the Utility company on site when you do it.

And depending upon size of tree limbs and proximity to the lines you may need to have special equipment (which most of us do not have). Certainally always ensure you have proper equipment before you begin (this may include insulated gloves, insulated boom on truck, etc).

Some tree species are better conductors than others, and at higher voltages you do not want to play around - better to ask the questions and be safe first then have somebody else worry about it later (because you may not be there to worry!).

Ahhhhhh its a walk in the park especially overhang climbing in the rain lol.

Back