Clearing locust trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsaltzman73

Reaction score
I was looking for an appropriate chemical to kill those thorny locust trees. We have some recreation land used primarily for hunting and have an infestation of locust trees. We have a lot of them that are growing in our CRP and pasture (anywhere from 3 - 6ft tall) along with other parts of our timber where they are mature full grown trees. We have ringed a lot, but we would like to spray a lot of the smaller ones to keep them from spreading. If we just cut them down, it seems like we get 5 back next year.
Any advise you all can provide to help us get these under control would be great.
Thanks,

There are several expensive brands of decideous herbicides out there, but several years ago I discovered the Generic Forms of 'Round-UP' will do the job at a fraction of the cost. Pick it up at most Farm Stores under different name brands, but it's the same chemical ratio as Round Up 41% in 2 1/2 gal jugs. Some have told me they can find 51% in smaller containers, but I've yet to find it.
I mix it fairly heavy 1qt 8oz to 15gal of water. Spray the foliage. Check it in two weeks, if any healthy foliage is present spray it again. Continue throught the 1st year as needed. Check the next spring for new foliage, and spray as needed. Usually the trunks will completely rot from the ground up. It takes from 1 to 2 years to completely get rid of them.

I am concerned using a "Roundup" type product as it will also kill the pasture grasses and CRP grasses. Any other good remedies? I know Tordon(sp) will kill them, but it is very expensive. Another individual had this receipe for a 15 gallon sprayer: 18oz Grazon , 5oz Remedy, 9oz of a surfactant and the rest water. It is supposed to not kill the grass but kill the trees. Anyone used anything like this before? Thanks,

I am concerned using a "Roundup" type product as it will also kill the pasture grasses and CRP grasses. Any other good remedies? I know Tordon(sp) will kill them, but it is very expensive. Another individual had this receipe for a 15 gallon sprayer: 18oz Grazon , 5oz Remedy, 9oz of a surfactant and the rest water. It is supposed to not kill the grass but kill the trees. Anyone used anything like this before? Thanks,
Just a foot note you may or may not know deer looooove to eat the bean pods that fall off those dudes you may want to leave a few mature ones!

I've used it, and for the cost I was not pleased at all. Matter of fact I still have it. But for the RoundUp, only spray the tree leaves, not the trunk or ground. I have persimmon sprouts all over my pastures, and I use it on them too.

Bamboo is very similar in the it sprouts from the ground rather than from seeds. The only way that I have found to make a dent in bamboo patches without chemicals is to cut the roots with a good heavy disc. Is this something you can do or do you have specialized grasses planted that you can't disturb?

Locust goes very quickly from a single tree to a mass of suckers growing everywhere.

Locust goes very quickly from a single tree to a mass of suckers growing everywhere.

Boy; ain't that the truth. They are very prolific. I've brush-hogged them and they come back like a big shrub. I have one 7'hx4'w, that I've sprayed for two years now. 1st year it looked dead. Last spring and summer I had to douse it again. I'll find out this spring if it is dead.

Latest posts

Back