Cleveland Pear, White Birch and Ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seagull1220

Reaction score
:confused: I live in So. Western Ohio and am having tree problems.

Cleveland Ornamental Pear:
This tree is 8 ft. tall and has been in the ground 3 years. In late June, the leaves began to turn an autumn maroon and gradually it engulfed the entire tree's leaves. I took a sample branch to the garden store and they said it could be blight.

To date, the leaves are all a dark brown and the tree appears to be dead. The ends of the branches are brittle. Sure looks dead to me. Any ideas as to what happened to the tree?

White Birch cluster of three:

This cluster is approximately 7 ft. and has been in the ground 3 years also. In spring, one of the cluster of three didn't come back this year. This week, another cluster of the 3 appears to be meeting its demise too. Before the leaves turned brown the narrow trunks began to get a slight silvery tint on them. Any info would be appreciated as there is only 1 of the cluster left.

White Ash:

This is bearly past the sapling stage and is about 5 ft. I tranplanted it last year and it was off to a healthy, growing start this growing season. We had a hefty storm this week and now the leaves are withering like it is in shock or dying. The house next door (14 ft. away) experienced a lightening hit that ruined their phones, computer and TV. Could the young Ash have received some static electricity from the lightening? Also, the White Birch is within 20 ft. of the effected neighbor's house.

Sorry to be so lengthy, but I'm beginning to wonder which tree in the yard will die next.

There seems to be a lot happening in your yard and not to be flip but you have more problems than any one could address through the net. You need help from a local source.

Check the ISA web site and plug in your zip code to get a list of folks in your area who are certified and have them look at the whole picture.

Jay Banks
ISA Certified Arborist
Urban Forester

I agree with Jay, have some one _look_ at them. And not a service that sends a salesman out to sell a program. Find someone that will come out as a consultant.

American Society of Consulting Arborists (ASCA)

http://ASCA-consultants.org/

On the pear, are the tips hooking? Fireblight.

Birch, could be the bronze birch borer got into it because it was stressed form poor instalation.

Ash, too much water? storm and irregation? If the lightning was real close, yours is not an outlandish idea.

Latest posts

Back