Climbed my last tree today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
Did a difficult removal today of an oak tree next to a house. It was a job for a bucket truck and I was planning on using a 66' manlift to take it down but haven't been able to get it working properly. So with some additional assessment, I figured I could get it down by taking some limbs off of it and then pulling and wedging it over.
This is the first time I've had to rig branches for lowering and between Groundie and I we got it done.
Felling the tree was challenging as it was leaning towards the house. The tree was probably 24" plus and not hollow. First thing I did was screw up by cutting the face cut too deep. (deeper than intended) I wanted plenty of room for wedges and having the face that deep complicated that some. I made a bore cut from the back of the face cut through to the back of the tree so I could get a long wedge in there before I made the back cut.
The pulling devices included two tow straps connected together, a 150" bull rope hooked to another 100' bull rope. Then between the chains and pulley block and what not we had the Rube Goldberg thing down flat.
Long story shorter, the felling took a long time with alternate wedging and pulling with the truck. I kept as much tension on the pulling gear as I thought it could handle safely and had about 10 wedges involved. (some double stacked). Once I got the tree vertical I breathed a little easier and then of course the homeowner came home to see the grande finale.
It came down exactly as intended but I was so whupped we just left and told the homeowner we'd come later to clean up.
Based on the difficult climbing earlier in the day, Groundie and I decided it was time for me to quit that aspect of tree removal. If a tree requires climbing, I'm just not going to bid it anymore.
Saws used today were the Stihl 019T, 044 with a 28" and an 039 with a 20" and I did some limbing with a Stihl 026 (which was running poorly and probably needs carb work)
When I go to limb and buck up the stem I'll likely use the 044 with a 24" and the 039 and maybe the 018C for the small stuff.

I bet thee ol heart was really pumping. For me it's worse if I have an audience. It's a relief when they finally hit the ground. And I don't climb.

If felling was so difficult why not just chunk it down?

I wish i could say i climbed my last tree but unfortunately i will be back in one tomorrow:( I like what i do but retirement would be really nice:laugh:

dam man.... im 46 and just do small stuff these days its my part time gig lawn and tree.....56 and still getting it good for you man....Rock on with it buddy....

Glad you got it down safely.

The summer heat will just slap knock it out of you, making a difficult job much much harder, any job, tree work, whatever.

Ya, comes a time you have to start giving up this or that...your bod tells you, not the calendar.

I was 47 last year when I decided that I had climbed my last tree. It was 94 degrees with what felt like a gazillion percent humidity and being 20 pounds overweight didn't help any. Took most of a week to recover from that one. By the end of the day, the 346 felt like it weighed 100 pounds. Now I leave the climbibg to the youger folks.

I'm 25 and currently working as a mercenary climber (hired to whomever is in need of me that day). Since I was 16 I've been scuttling up trees with a saw on my saddle. I pray it never ends, but my knees beg me to stop tomorrow lol. Its not an easy line of work, and having 10 finger and 10 toes by the time you retire means you did well at your job. Thanks to the old timers who paved the way for this unique profession.

Latest posts

Back