Climber/Owner making $4000 a year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's easy enough to agree with. What I'm asking though is how does "12 tons" get confusing for anyone? And is the fact that I spelled out exactly that I definitely checked the job over first before going to any job ready to work get confused with not checking the job first?

My point of view is clear enough to me. This is now the "I'm an AS dumpling" thing instead of a place to ask people that know anything about my specific occupation my questions, and now this is a misplaced business 101 thread now. I have AS admin explaining to me why I'm shoved on down to this forum was because I was posting BS about "12 tons of brush," and I was talking about not "going to check a tree job out before agreeing to do it." That is the actually why the thread has been moved. The reason was not because this is just a business 101 thread now.

Oh and then there is somebody else passionately describing me as a beginner hack like I don't even know what a rope can be used for in arboriculture.

Thanks for the response. I should also mention it was a sappy day? No complaints here.

101 is right where you need to be for now. If I were you I would just drop this ongoing story you have going now and start over with something else later on.

I am in the Contractors situation, not the climbers, but if I did under bid a job the way for me to learn my lesson would be the arborist charge me more than I have figured. Then I lose my but and never forget.

I don't think your losing much if the guy prices yo out of work.

Your thread was moved here because this is the place for people who are relatively new to your profession.

It's obvious from your posts that you need help and advice. You also need to start listening to what these guys are telling you. If you added up all the years of experience from all the people who have replied to this thread so far you'd know that their advice is based on sound reasoning.

They might not be the most tactful bunch of people but tact isn't really necessary in this case. Ask your questions, listen to what they tell you, and use it to your own benefit. Or not...your choice entirely.

But no more BS, okay?

HEY!! come on now, I am pretty tactful and I think a lot of us are, we are just choosing to use it differently, its still tact nontheless. I mean, to say we lack tact just doesn't seem fair. I , for one, am proud and impressed at everybody for not being rude and demeaning and, instead, offering very sound business advice in a truthful, non-threatening matter of fact manner.

Last edited:
HEY!! come on now, I am pretty tactful and I think a lot of us are, we are just choosing to use it differently, its still tact nontheless. I mean, to say we lack tact just doesn't seem fair. I , for one, am proud and impressed at everybody for not being rude and demeaning and, instead, offering very sound business advice in a truthful, non-threatening matter of fact manner.

Okay, I think you're right. You guys, for the most part have been tactful. I'm impressed.

Surprised, too. :laugh:

Thanks for the feedback, anybody that brought me feed back. I'm letting the landscaper know he won't have a problem from me again, and I'm suggesting that on these bigger tree jobs, he has me bid the job or at least we both get the costs to do the job right first before we put a number out there for anyone.

I really wasn't going to ask my question I posted in my first post, but it just came to me, so I put it there to see what people thought. That worked out okay sort of.

In the mean time my little hackeroo acquaintance is still out there hacking at it on his 4th day now. The job was for $1400. I shouldn't laugh, and he really shouldn't have given away difficult work like that.

Thanks for the feedback, anybody that brought me feed back. I'm letting the landscaper know he won't have a problem from me again, and I'm suggesting that on these bigger tree jobs, he has me bid the job or at least we both get the costs to do the job right first before we put a number out there for anyone.

I really wasn't going to ask my question I posted in my first post, but it just came to me, so I put it there to see what people thought. That worked out okay sort of.

In the mean time my little hackeroo acquaintance is still out there hacking at it on his 4th day now. The job was for $1400. I shouldn't laugh, and he really shouldn't have given away difficult work like that.

So you live and learn, it's what this place is all about. Glad to see it was of some benefit to you here.

So you could've made 1400 in half a day and #####ed about it? most companies around here charge that for a full day 2-4 man crew.

By the way, he's at $350 a day, for one guy, which to me adds up to 70k a year figuring 200 days of work at his own pace. Not many people wouldn't take that. So for your climber/owner making 4000 a year title, it would have to take him 70 days to finish this job.

Stay in 101 so I don't have to read your useless babble about other "hacks" and popping stumps next to curbs anymore.

Last edited:
Wait, hold on at Chief, your missing something.

It gets better every time this guy adds to his story. It should have been a $2000 to $2400 dollar job, since the know nothing landscaper under bid it by $600 to $1000.

I only dream of billing $2400 dollars by lunch time. I'm lucky to bill $2400 by lunch time on Wednesday, and if I do I'm happy.

As Judge Judy says, "if it doesn't make sense, it's probably no true."

What a load of BS.

I bet this guy only runs Stihls. Don't take offence stihl owners, but all the BSers always run Stihls, comes with the territory.

I made 4g's before lunch on Tuesday...

Hacks like Stihls cause there tough ass saws! It's amazing what they can do to the AV systems on chainsaws.

The rest of us just like good stuff or own far too many of them to run much else during the work day.

3 to 5 days work, for $150 to $200???

That won't even pay for fuel! If he did it for 10X that it still wouldn't be worth the trouble of taking it down, cutting it up, and hauling to whereeverthe#####'shaulinit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now now,
You guys ought to know better than to rip on guys in 101. Fair enough in the commercial section, but lets keep it clean in 101 otherwise where does it stop? Punching babies? Pushing old ladies in front of cars instead of helping them across the road? The OP's suffered enough. 101 is the place to come if you want to help people who need it.

Sounds like you walking away from this job was a good thing there tree and stump. There's been some good advice given about relations with the customer when subbing, and that's a good thing to pay attention to.... no matter how much it pains you to keep your mouth shut when subbing to a hack! I used to sub every now and then but not any more. When I was doing it, I'd turn up to the job wearing work shirts without my logo, and the signage on my truck flips down too. If anybody asked who I was working for, I'd answer (truthfully!) that I'm working for whoever the principal was. Same story with anybody approaching me asking for a quote while I'm on the principles job - "talk to the boss, he's over there". While I'm on that job I'm just an employee, and might as well enjoy it for what it is. It's not my job after all.

Hopefully you've got a long future ahead of you in this industry, and if you do you ought to be thinking long term - how to lift your game, and get to a place you can provide quality work for a fair price. Sometimes it seems like two steps forward and three steps back, especially if you live in an area with a low season, and even more so when you've got equipment that's old and breaks down. The key is in building all your skills - not just tree climbing, but in quoting, understanding your business cost properly, marketing, and thinking about where you want to be. It takes years to build up to, so it's the sort of job that really only suits people who are passionate about it. In the mean time, you'll get a lot of good advice here in the short term about how to handle/quote jobs if you need it.

Shaun

Now now,
You guys ought to know better than to rip on guys in 101. Fair enough in the commercial section, but lets keep it clean in 101 otherwise where does it stop? Punching babies? Pushing old ladies in front of cars instead of helping them across the road? The OP's suffered enough. 101 is the place to come if you want to help people who need it.

Sounds like you walking away from this job was a good thing there tree and stump. There's been some good advice given about relations with the customer when subbing, and that's a good thing to pay attention to.... no matter how much it pains you to keep your mouth shut when subbing to a hack! I used to sub every now and then but not any more. When I was doing it, I'd turn up to the job wearing work shirts without my logo, and the signage on my truck flips down too. If anybody asked who I was working for, I'd answer (truthfully!) that I'm working for whoever the principal was. Same story with anybody approaching me asking for a quote while I'm on the principles job - "talk to the boss, he's over there". While I'm on that job I'm just an employee, and might as well enjoy it for what it is. It's not my job after all.

Hopefully you've got a long future ahead of you in this industry, and if you do you ought to be thinking long term - how to lift your game, and get to a place you can provide quality work for a fair price. Sometimes it seems like two steps forward and three steps back, especially if you live in an area with a low season, and even more so when you've got equipment that's old and breaks down. The key is in building all your skills - not just tree climbing, but in quoting, understanding your business cost properly, marketing, and thinking about where you want to be. It takes years to build up to, so it's the sort of job that really only suits people who are passionate about it. In the mean time, you'll get a lot of good advice here in the short term about how to handle/quote jobs if you need it.

Shaun

LOL, exactly. A MOD moved this thread here from the commercial climbing section as donkey boy posted it there first. THEN made several comments stating that he cant figure out why he was kicked down here.....IDENTIFYING what the problem is is the majority of the solution, and it seems like he's currently lacking in that department.

IDK why everyone is on the OP so bad, I just cut 5k with my MS250 and no groundie and made it home way before lunch.

$1400 was the cost on the tree job, and many of you stuck your head out there like I was crazy for not taking that job.

LOL, I have been gone for far to long, cant believe I have been missing all this, but kinda glad I did!

Tell me why a job priced at $1400 with a cost of $1400 is wrong? If nobody wants to comeback to this thread again and explain it, that's okay.

Ok buttercup, i'll bite. How does a job COST $1400? Please enlighten us thickheaded Neanderthals. Short of rocket fuel, diamond chains and solid gold bars, I can't figure it out.

You're still either an egotistical idiot or a terrible business man in my opinion. No one in this business is irreplaceable and you got yourself replaced by a pickup truck/boat trailer "hack" because you went directly to the customer demanding more money.

Back