Climber pads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradley

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What kinds of climber pads do you guys use? I'm considering getting something to replace the old Weaver T-shaped pads. I was thinking about the aluminum pads that have foam inside them. I've had the velcro wraps before and they were OK but the velcro seemed to get clogged up w/saw chips and dust. Does anybody use any that have the metal support in them? How do you like them comapared to the regulars. I replaced the buckle straps a few years ago with 1" webbing with a fastex buckle and love that mod, easy to get on and adjust and they don't chafe as bad. Lemme know what you think.

Steve.

Never used those aluminum pads. I've been using the velcros for many years now. No complaints.

I`m using these pads at work and I bought the same for my tree gaffs only because that`s what I`ve been using for several years.
I can`t bring myself to trust plastic or velcro in the tree tops.

loopp.jpg

SEveral years ago I bought the velcro pads with the metal stiffeners. They are very comfy. Consider getting the twisted shanks. When I did this, my shins no longer hurt at the end of the day. When I get to the ground I am very disciplined about keeping the velcro clean. I dust off my cuffs before I split the velcro. I take a little time to dust off both sides and immediately put the velcro together.

there are small brushes available to brush out velcro. You can get them from a good mountaineering or camping store.

The Gecko's seem like a nice unit. I have some buddies who love them. The only time I've used them is to go a few feet off the ground. The shank length was wrong but I think I could like them because they're sooooo light! I found that I didn't have to kick the spike in. Just walk up the tree a lot like an easy ice climb.

Tom

I use the aluminum pads and like them a lot. No pressure points or soreness on the legs. My climbing line gets hooked under the lower corner once in a while, I might cut the corner off, but other than that I think they are great.
I used to have the leather T straps and found them uncomfortable.

There is no pad that can compare to the "Cadillac Pads" for comfort. (alum/foam) they last forever, just replace the foam every 10 yrs or so. There are different shapes, however, and it helps to know if your calf is large or small to know to ask for the ones with a smaller radius.

Latest posts

Back