Are ratchet straps on tree's a good idea?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A couple of time's, I've used extra wide ratcheting straps to wrap around hollow/split tree's to keep them together long enough to drop them. Now I kind of wonder about the efficacy of doing this.
If the feller does this with a big enough tree, the tree may just split with enough force to snap the strap... even if the feller has wrapped it around a bunch of times. The thing then becomes a dangerous projectile... either the ratchet part, or the strap itself. A feller is probably better off moving on to another tree to cut, or if the hollow/split tree must be cut, just get out of the way the best you can.
Thinking about taking the strap stuff out of my work box permanently. Anybody have any input on this?

A couple of time's, I've used extra wide ratcheting straps to wrap around hollow/split tree's to keep them together long enough to drop them. Now I kind of wonder about the efficacy of doing this.
If the feller does this with a big enough tree, the tree may just split with enough force to snap the strap... even if the feller has wrapped it around a bunch of times. The thing then becomes a dangerous projectile... either the ratchet part, or the strap itself. A feller is probably better off moving on to another tree to cut, or if the hollow/split tree must be cut, just get out of the way the best you can.
Thinking about taking the strap stuff out of my work box permanently. Anybody have any input on this?

Chain might be safer, if need be. Done it before on a suspected barber chair. Wrap it a couple of times if necessary.

Following this thread. Always wondered about this.

I imagine something is better than nothing, but it may also give a false sense of security and do more detriment than good.

As with most things, I suspect it's a "it depends" scenario. In some ways, I'm sure it can held. However, if the tree is too far gone, it probably won't do a thing. But what qualifies as "too far gone"? Idk. That's what I want to learn.

5/16 chain.
Lets leave 3/8 to the loggers who get payed to drag over weight chain around.

Strap oer chain im sure its cool as long as you keep your kneck out if it.

5/16 chain.

Ya run what ya brung, and ratchet straps should not be trusted to do the job. Bigger is better, in most cases.

In general, it may work, but if it don't... well... its reallllll bad.
As for chains cables any other sort of belt, I don't do it, and I don't recommend it. if its to sketchy for you pass on it and let a pro deal with it.
What I do in these situations, is bore cuts either leaving a trigger or boring the guts from the face side, can't chair if theres nothing there to hold it.
If its a real rotten nasty mess, and could collapse, then having anything else that could snag, catch or become a missile is just another thing that can get you ded.
Alternatively I'll coos bay them, but thats a slightly more advanced method, better stick with what ya all know.

In general, it may work, but if it don't... well... its reallllll bad.
As for chains cables any other sort of belt, I don't do it, and I don't recommend it. if its to sketchy for you pass on it and let a pro deal with it.
What I do in these situations, is bore cuts either leaving a trigger or boring the guts from the face side, can't chair if theres nothing there to hold it.
If its a real rotten nasty mess, and could collapse, then having anything else that could snag, catch or become a missile is just another thing that can get you ded.
Alternatively I'll coos bay them, but thats a slightly more advanced method, better stick with what ya all know.
Best answer yet! 👍

5/16 chain.

Any real cutter leaves the chains for the rigging crews, got enough S to drag through the woods 40# of rusty greasy scrap iron is best used for pulling the log trucks out of the ditch.

Plastic felling wedges between the chain and the tree work nice if you want to get the chain a bit snugger. Could probably use a splitting wedge too if you wanted.

The massively thick and wide straps that are used for tightening down loads on a semi would probably work really nice. Never thought of using this method as I'm usually cutting deadfall, I'll have to keep it in mind if I'm ever forced to cut down a tree that's possibly rotten in the middle.
That's the advantage of this forum, you can come across some ideas completely new to you and can be a real help in the future.

Wouldn't let my brother in law cut a rose bush down....
Ironically, one of my inlaws is a former cutter, the other 3? they know which end to hold on to I think?

My full brother on the other hand... he claims he's done a bunch of logging... (he's older then me, and has had a job for a grand total of maybe 7 out of the last 30 years) anyway I've hit him with at least 3 trees, the Its going to fall right there, please move, he doesn't move, I yell, he says it will be fine... proceeds to get hit with said tree, I get yelled at he cries about xxx... damn tree went exactly were I told him it would go...

For years I've joked about getting him a carbide chain cause about all hes good for is making drainage ditches and hurting himself.

Ironically, one of my inlaws is a former cutter, the other 3? they know which end to hold on to I think?

My full brother on the other hand... he claims he's done a bunch of logging... (he's older then me, and has had a job for a grand total of maybe 7 out of the last 30 years) anyway I've hit him with at least 3 trees, the Its going to fall right there, please move, he doesn't move, I yell, he says it will be fine... proceeds to get hit with said tree, I get yelled at he cries about xxx... damn tree went exactly were I told him it would go...

For years I've joked about getting him a carbide chain cause about all hes good for is making drainage ditches and hurting himself.
Brutal! 😂

The massively thick and wide straps that are used for tightening down loads on a semi would probably work really nice. Never thought of using this method as I'm usually cutting deadfall, I'll have to keep it in mind if I'm ever forced to cut down a tree that's possibly rotten in the middle.
That's the advantage of this forum, you can come across some ideas completely new to you and can be a real help in the future.

those belts are rated same as 3/8 g7 chain
bout 5500lb wll
they will take more, but do break w/o much warnin
g7 chain will stretch some first then break w/o warning
ive stretched and broke 1/2" g7 under diff scenarios, moving equipment

like using a bottle jack instead of proper tree jack
... it will work til it doesnt

I have a lot of pine at my property. Pine will split vertically up the entire tree, while the middle is solid.

I use a strap a lot to keep it from barber chairing. More than once the strap is so tight when the log is on the ground the strap just has to be cut. Your results may differ, but it is a very handy technique to get a tree on the ground safely.

I really am struggling to see the down side to this. Straps don't fly off when broke, they just fall. I have done dozens of trees like this.

Latest posts

Back