Are ratchet straps on tree's a good idea?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Birch trees are bad for having rotten centers but they look sound because of the bark.
If I have a back leaner I think is rotten I will screw a long 2x4 straight up the tree then hook either my come a long or portable 12 volt winch on using chain cable or straps .
Kash

A couple of time's, I've used extra wide ratcheting straps to wrap around hollow/split tree's to keep them together long enough to drop them. Now I kind of wonder about the efficacy of doing this.
If the feller does this with a big enough tree, the tree may just split with enough force to snap the strap... even if the feller has wrapped it around a bunch of times. The thing then becomes a dangerous projectile... either the ratchet part, or the strap itself. A feller is probably better off moving on to another tree to cut, or if the hollow/split tree must be cut, just get out of the way the best you can.
Thinking about taking the strap stuff out of my work box permanently. Anybody have any input on this?

The plural of time is times, not time's. The plural of tree is trees, not tree's. The apostrophe makes a word possessive, not plural.

I have used the heavy ratchet straps several times with good luck. I have used them mostly on a double trunk tree or one with a crack or seam in it to make sure it stays together. I've put as many as 3 straps on a tree before for added assurance. I always wrap the strap around twice. The first one I did, once the tree was on the ground the ratchet handle was under the tree. Words of wisdom, always plan on having the ratchet handle facing up when the tree is on the ground.

I have a lot of pine at my property. Pine will split vertically up the entire tree, while the middle is solid.

I use a strap a lot to keep it from barber chairing. More than once the strap is so tight when the log is on the ground the strap just has to be cut. Your results may differ, but it is a very handy technique to get a tree on the ground safely.

I really am struggling to see the down side to this. Straps don't fly off when broke, they just fall. I have done dozens of trees like this.
As stated earlier, if it's a suspected hazard, procedure with extreme caution, and experience will dictate whether its worth the risk. We all have to learn sometime what our limitations are. Heavy leaners can and will barber chair, depending of course on the species and size of the tree.
The plural of time is times, not time's. The plural of tree is trees, not tree's. The apostrophe makes a word possessive, not plural.
Face-You-Make-Robert-Downey-Jr.jpg

Excellent contribution to this discussion. You have really helped the people who are interested in this subject. Please scan all posts in the future as I am sure there are countless contributions you can and should make for the education and edification of us all. We anxiously look forward to your erudite pedantic contributions.

I really am struggling to see the down side to this. Straps don't fly off when broke, they just fall. I have done dozens of trees like this.

Excellent point snobdds. I think you are correct about this now that I think more about it.
I kept envisioning people pulling/towing equipment with nylon/polyester types of ropes, only to have it snap and tear through chain link fences (seen this before). I mistakenly applied this principal to strapping trees.

Latest posts

Back