Climbing a pine tree, some questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've got an eye on a pine tree that my uncle needs taken down. It's maybe 18" diameter above the root flare. Standing perfectly straight up. Close to the house, and no safe felling zone, so she needs to come down in pieces. I'm not ready to do this job yet as I need a lot more experience, but some questions came to mind:

1. Being that a pine tree really doesn't have any crotches (man I hate that word, can't we come up with something better?), what would I "crotch-in" to for my secondary line? Would I have to cinch a false crotch around the trunk? I know that ANSI requires two lines while operating the saw, and I'm not going to break code.

2. Are there any special considerations when dealing with pine? Sap gum up the saw? Any climbing concerns/hazards?

Thanks for any replies.

Tying in to a pine....

When dealing with pine keep all of your ropes as far as you can from the sap. Also branches are very brittle. So be careful. To tie in you can use a ring and ring friction saver and crotch into that. But easier cheaper and more versatile is a webbing sling of appropriate length and strength with a double locking climbing rated carabeaner on one end and an oval link on the other end. This will make a friction saver you can remove from the ground if need be. Or if your doing a takedown and going to the top you can use two carabeaners. Just make sure the slingand beaners havn't been used for rigging and are rated for 5,000lb or better. Take your time and Be safe .... Mike

Any pictures.

I would go through the video forum.

Ekka has a removal...a knotless rigging out of a pine...

Also look on youtube might be able to show you some things.

Do remember not every video on you tube will be done by people done by ANSI standards or just safe but a lot are really good.

Hope this helps.

attachment.php

Uh, call a professional.

Running saws above grounds got intrensic danger your not even going to realize till your up there.

Ive tied in on a spruce spar pole, its all about leaving a small stub on the opposite side of the tree you intend to abseil from.

Probably not safe but I got it done. left my buckstrap on coming down just in case.

Last edited:
how far is the tree from doylestown? id be happy ta help ya if its close ta me. we could work out some sorta deal:). im sure you could use a good lesson from a pro.

Uh, call a professional.

Running saws above grounds got intrensic danger your not even going to realize till your up there.

Ive tied in on a spruce spar pole, its all about leaving a small stub on the opposite side of the tree you intend to abseil from.

Probably not safe but I got it done. left my buckstrap on coming down just in case.

Everybody has to start somewhere. When you were learning, what good would it have done you if someone told you to call a professional? Every professional was a dumb schmuck like me at some point.

A good place to start is with pros.

Im far from a pro or even a decent climber but ive spent enough time on the ground to know a thing or 2.

Do you know how to tie a friction hitch?

If you cant tie off on either a taughtline or a blakes you dont have much buisness climbing and that IS that

Plenty of literature avaliable.

Tree climbers companion would be a great start.

Everybody has to start somewhere. When you were learning, what good would it have done you if someone told you to call a professional? Every professional was a dumb schmuck like me at some point.

What he wants is for you to work and learn from a pro instead of making an ultimate mistake costing you and the whole industry. I feel the same learn before costing you your life and raising the insurance rates.

Remember guys, I cannot possibly get hurt only by asking questions in a forum. I am nowhere near ready to go vertical yet. I am trying to learn. I'm going to read read read and ask ask ask and soon hopefully get some lessons from a pro before my feet leave the ground. Thanks for all the concern but y'all have nothing to worry about, at least not yet.

Check out sherril or baileys and buy a copy of the tree climbers companion.

Put it on santas late gift list.

Its a good place to start.

What is that arrangement called? By the way, that orange rope does not look so safe anymore eh? Did you forget part of P.R.E.P.? LOL Thanks for the pic.

Blakes on a splittail...The 'orange rope' is a steelcore lanyard, the outer cover holds no strength so its still safe. The blue rope has a rope snap tied on the end and is cinched around the tree. The friction hitch is a blakes with an added turn to help prevent binding ( all hitches will bind down on SRT )use a figure 8 or a munter hitch if youre gonna rappel down like this. Keep the knot on as a backup to the 8.

Plasmech, do you intend on making this your career??

If not you are probably wasting your time and in-dangering yourself by trying it. It takes much more time to learn to do this stuff than you can devote to a hobbie. You need professional hands on instruction and hours on a professional job site.

Climbing Pines

I enjoy climbing pines because you usually dont need spikes because all the branches, although getting sap on your rope suck's it's not the worst, i think it gives you a nice grip. Check out the Tree Climbers Companion on how to install, and retrieve a false crotch from the ground and you'll be running smooth. I usualy climb with a flipline and a 150 ft. of arborplex (nice and cheap) running through a Petzl Gri Gri, which act's as a slack tender and belay device, Whatever you do, make sure you know your limit's, and always be tied in . i'm also somewhat of a novice climber but it's really about having all the gear . It takes a little while to get confortable in realizing what your doing. I would suggest doing a littel bit of climbing with just a pruning saw before trying any takedown's that need to be lowered, When your in the tree YOUR the boss. Dont let anybody on the ground bully you into doing anything your not comfortable with. People on the ground got no idea what's goign on up there so never listen to dumb homeowner's telling you to go a little higher or put yourself in a sketchy situation. It's better to just comedown and walk away from the job if it aint right. Or bring in another climber to show you how it's done. Also i would suggest being a groundsman for a little while just to see how much tension is in the rigging before setting choker's ( timber hitch's, ect) up in the tree . and then have a experienced climber be your groundsman for a bit before you train someone new. good luck

Cut down many pines now, no big deal, but I have climbed thousands of trees. Best to watch and learn first, it would suck to read about you on that other section here. I mean that with no holier than thou attitude at all, I don't even know you, but I care about your safety. Merry Christmas/Jim.

Check out the Tree Climbers Companion on how to install, and retrieve a false crotch from the ground and you'll be running smooth. I usualy climb with a flipline and a 150 ft. of arborplex (nice and cheap) running through a Petzl Gri Gri, which act's as a slack tender and belay device, Whatever you do, make sure you know your limit's, and always be tied in . i'm also somewhat of a novice climber but it's really about having all the gear . It takes a little while to get confortable in realizing what your doing. I would suggest doing a littel bit of climbing with just a pruning saw before trying any takedown's that need to be lowered, When your in the tree YOUR the boss. Dont let anybody on the ground bully you into doing anything your not comfortable with. People on the ground got no idea what's goign on up there so never listen to dumb homeowner's telling you to go a little higher or put yourself in a sketchy situation. It's better to just comedown and walk away from the job if it aint right. Or bring in another climber to show you how it's done. Also i would suggest being a groundsman for a little while just to see how much tension is in the rigging before setting choker's ( timber hitch's, ect) up in the tree . and then have a experienced climber be your groundsman for a bit before you train someone new. good luck

EXCELLENT ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

how far is the tree from doylestown? id be happy ta help ya if its close ta me. we could work out some sorta deal:). im sure you could use a good lesson from a pro.

This is a very thoughtful and generous offer that you should definitely take advantage of. I see you pm'd him, hope it works out for you.

There is nothing like hooking up with a professional in this field to both inspire you and control your enthusiasm which could get you in trouble. It takes but a few moments to recognise the depth and breadth of the knowledge and skill required to function safely.

Good luck.

Dave

Latest posts

Back