climbing gear question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackbaseball

Reaction score
I am new at climbing, I'm not bad at it. I use a method that uses two rope ends to make a loop. I ascend by "walking" up the tree and pushing the knot that creates the loop toward the limb which makes the loop smaller and secures me higher into the tree.

Anyway. I am pretty good at actually getting up into the tree, but i never trust the knot I put in the climbing rope. I am wondering if a device is made that acts as a sort of brake which i could apply once I am in the tree so that i could work more confidentely, without the fear of my knot failing and plunging to my doom. Any info or tips would be much appreciated... THANKS

-Chris

What type of knot are you using? A Blake's hitch or a tautline hitch? Both knots are very secure for climbing. I trust my life on them. I also clip in with my lanyard so I am double tied before cranking my saw.
How about the rope? Is it rope intended for lifeline applications in tree work? Home Depot rope isn't adequate for lowering limbs, never mind hanging your LIFE on!
If nothing else, I'd recommend signing up for a free subscription of TCI magazine. You can get it online from the NAA's (National Arborist Association) website.

I use a knot where you take the returning end with the clip on it.. The clip is not tied at the very end of the rope, so there is an extra foot or so.. and you take this extra rope and put it over the other side of the rope (which is going up into the tree) and circle it 3 times going down. Then you go to the top of the 3 turns, go behind it and come in front underneath to make a knot... my description is kinda sketchy but you probably know the knot.. i just dont know the name of it...

Hi Jack, not sure what the knot is but maybe you should get in touch with a local tree care company and go do some grounding before you start climbing, you'll soon pick up the knots and tecniques, but personally I think you need some more equipment and understand there uses. Self Preservation is foremost in tree climbing.

I have done lots of groundwork, and some climbing. The knot I described is the one i was shown, i wish i knew the name. We climb with a loop... we dont tie one end of the line to the base of the tree and use ascenders.... maybe that makes my description more clear?? I will subscribe to that magazine, but could somebody recomend a book or companion? Also.. we use sadles without straps around each leg.. I would like some opinions on those example the master 2..

thanks.
Chris

I think the knot you are describing is what I have referred to as a 'devil's claw'. It's a modified tautline hitch, but has less friction for faster rapelling. Instead of going 3 under and one above, you need to tie it with 2 wraps under and 2 wraps above, then out through the middle. That will be a proper tautline hitch. It will snug up tighter when you pull it tight and lean back on it.

I hope I have described this adequately. Please check with another climber and confirm you have the tautline hitch tied correctly before climbing. Hate to have your groundie scraping you up off the pavement! :(

Friction Hitches & Prusiks Reviewed

Hi Jack,

To begin, one must realize that there are many different variations of friction hitches found on arborists ropes throughout the world. And ontop of these, I'm sure that there are many common names associated with the ANSI (American National Standards Institute) recognized names. However, the most commonly used knots (at least in my area) are known as:

the Tautline Hitch
the Blake's Hitch
the Schwabish Prusik
the Distal Prusik

The first two are a variation of what you must be using. They are both tied to the climbing line with the remaining tail of rope after the end-line knot (or by using a 'split tail' of the same rope diameter). The greater the distance between the snap and where you tie the friction hitch, the farther you will be able to slide the knot as ascending. However, the greater the distance can lead to some awkwardness when moving around the tree; unless you have arms like a monkey!
* The first is completed by making 2 complete turns around the climbing line; continuing in the same direction, make 2 more turns over the first 2; dress and set the hitch so that it grips the climbing line without slipping. In the remaining tail, tie a figure-8 stopper knot in the hitch to prevent your knot from slipping. Think safety first!
* The Blake's Hitch is completed by making 3 complete turns, upwards, around the climbing line; pass the front of the 'bridge' behind the climbing line and up through the first turn; set and dress the hitch and tie a figure-8 knot the same as in the Tautline.

The two prusiks are done through the use of 12" eye-to-eye prusik rope. These two prusiks are tied to the climber's line and then hooked to the D-rings on the climber's saddle with a carabiener.
* The Shwabisch is completed by making one complete turn down the climber's rope (leaving the eye only a few inches from the wrap); carry the remaining rope above the wrap and complete 3 turns downward. The eye tails should come out in the same direction and side-by-side. If the eyes are facing in opposite directions, you have tied the Distal Prusik. Dress the Prusik so that the eyes are aligned and the knot is relatively snug against the climber's line. Hook your carabiener through the eyes and then to your D-ring. I always use the Shwabisch when I'm up in the tree, but to ease advancing the knot, I hook a micro-pulley onto my climber's line, just below the prusik. This allows me to pull up on the slack end of the line and the pully pushes the knot upward.

Knots are a personal choice; for in the end, you are the one hanging from them. If you choose the wrong one, you could end up sliding downward.....................
:eek:

I hope that you will find this information useful and not to confusing. I understand that it is easy for me to explain this when I can visualize what I am typing. If you want to learn more, an excellent book to add to your library is "The Tree Climber's Companion" written by Jeff Jepson. It is a relatively cost efficient field reference and training manual for tree climbers.

Keep climbing, but keep it safe.
Shane Freeman

When I first learned to climb my foreman taught me to use a tautline but with only one loop in top, breaks away much easier . I am not advocating using this by the way! I think they called it a suicide hitch or something like that? Anybody use that one? I haven't used it much since I started my own bus. and learned the right way.

toddppm

Me and my partner used to use the tauntline with one loop on top when we used three strand rope . Now that we use braided there is no way we would use the one loop. always two

Chris, get a copy of The Tree Climber's Companion. Most equipment companies sell it and so does ISA. it has a welth of information for only a small amount of cash. Our local tech coledge carries it as a supplmental texed book for the Arb. Practucum course.

And call Sherrill and get their catalog. There are many descriptions and good artwork that explains technique and equipment. And the thing is free.

I've been using the taut-line hitch, two wraps under - one over, for more than twenty years. Never had a problem with slipping. For the last couple years, I've been using Hi-Vee, before that True Blue.

IF you want to see pictures of some of the more popular climbing hitches, look here:

http://community-2.webtv.net/@HH!29!FF!95A2266FBB8B/acutabovetree/AdvancedProgressive/

Another way to find illustrations for the limbing hitches is to do a search using http://google.com/

Stay in touch on this and other arborist forums to keep up with new techniques. Find out when your local arborist organization is having any workshops and attend [compete] in the Tree Climbing Championships.

Tom

The little tyrant would know about bureaacracy since he needed a huge corps of paper pushers to support his invasion across Europe. The world would probably be better off had he not taken the Republic along with him.

Latest posts

Back