Climbing in snow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you climb a spar during a snowstorm?

• No, stay home and drink coffee or hot chocalate.

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Yeah, get your wimpy butt up that pole!

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • Ya, I'd climb it but I'm Canadian, eh.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • I'm in the deep south/Northern Australia. This is nonsense.

Votes: 8 15.7%

• Total voters

Stumper

One Man Band
Reaction score
It snowed 3.5 to 4 inches last night. It is still snowing. Temperature is 20 degrees Fahreinheit. Expected high is 30. I have a "special task" to do for a good customer. He already paid me for it along with payment for work done yesterday. There is a leaning powerpole on a lot of his. It leans toward the neighbor's building. It is between two active lines and cannot be felled whole. It has a weatherhead attached which runs from the ground to beyond the top of the spar. The question is: Would you go guy the pole ,gaff up, cut the metal off and block it down today or wait a few days for the weather to change?

It all comes down to how bad you want or need the money and/or want to keep your clientel happy.

You're saying that it is 20 to 30*F...............which translates to -7 to -1*Celcius. I would love it if the temperature was that here. I would be up that sucker without hesitation.......that is if it's safe! Today it is -25* Celcius which translates to a bone chilling -13*F. Tonight they are calling for temperatures to drop be upto 15 more degrees.

I don't know about how things work in the south, but here the bank still wants payment regardless of the weather........so I bundle up and head outdoors!

Make sure it is safe, if it is already leaning it may fall if you don't guy it. Alot of pole's will rot just below ground level. Don't want to hear about you getting into those power lines. Use caution..... be safe. See'ya

So long as it's not snowing 1" / hr I would do it. It's kind of relaxing so long as the snow is semi light. If it's snowing real bad out, stay in and enjoy the day off, or have fun plowing.

Doing line clearance, the union prevents us from working in "inclimate weather". That term has a very grey definition. Rain of any kind is considered inclimate. Snow may be considered inclimate, depending if it is a wet snow, or who your foreman is. If your safety glasses get wet to the point you cannot see, it is too dangerous to work. As far as temps go, if it is below 0 degrees F, 30 minutes out workin, 30 minutes in truck warming up, and so on.

I serioully contemplated doing it this afternoon-but I had a Dr's appointment. The Dr's office called and asked to move my 4>30 appointment up (so they could close and go home early since people were cancelling right and left). I accomodated them and left the pole for tomorrow.-When it is supposed to be colder. No biggy. I sympathize with those who have to get out in the subzero stuff-been there and done that. It was 63 degrees here day before yesterday. Got up to 39 with some wind yesterday (and I worked). In a couple of days the daytime temps will be back in the 50's. When I HAVE TO I work in the rain or snow, but there are few rain and snow days here-I can usually wait a day or 2 and be fine. Lousy conditions breed mistakes.

Since I dont do this trade full time I'll stay home and drink coffee and watch it snow! I love the SNOW. I was hoping for a white x-mas but its not looking good at this point. :rolleyes: However if it was not a wet snow i would climb if needed.
Merry Christmas all

High winds and rain here ,good days to swamp the ground work.had a light snow monday but the wind was gusting about 30 to 40 mph.I would climb in a dry snow,the wet ones get the rope alittle nasty.but we have to pay the bills.

It was 11degrees my way earlier this week 1-2 inches of snow.
My crew and I pruned 24 trees for a school in NYC closed for winter recess. Thinking about it is worse that just doing it.

Corey :cry:

doesnt hardly ever snow here, once every few years is a big one. snow today hit 12". not enough plows here. so tomarrow off. our trucks are snowed in.

arboromega said:
doesnt hardly ever snow here, once every few years is a big one. snow today hit 12". not enough plows here. so tomarrow off. our trucks are snowed in.

:blob2:

ga sounding off

snow? :confused: i hear they make snow in north carolina for snow boarders. actually we see snow every year but if you wait around about 30 minutes or so the weather will change

Back