Climbing line attachment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GFB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The new Sherrill catalog shows the longer eye splice girth hitched to the carabiner. Since I have read that this is a weaker attachment, I'm wondering if it's true in this case too? Is it the fact the bend is reduced with the doubled line that makes this OK? Or, is there enough strength in the rope that giving up some is still OK?

Is it OK to simply put the carabiner through the loop? It would seem that you would be increasing the risk of side loading the carabiner.

Thanks for all your help.

Trying to climb safe in Dub,

GFB

I've heard that limitied testing of both methods show now real difference.

I have all my splices made tight enough so that I have to jam the 'biner into them. this prevents side loading.

On my climbing lines I put a quick link in to attache a Kong aluminum snap. The QL retrievs my Mechanical tie in point (MTIP) or friction saver easily so (long splitail with a stopper knot, soem tennex with a distal and a micro pulley on a biner when I learn to splice it will cost me around 10 bucks to replace and reuse the hardwear)

I dont like how the girth hitched splice bunches up, might as well use a fishermans knot then.

That's what I was thinking. Now that we have them, I guess we'll be doing the girth hitch, but I'm not sure for the future if I want to go that way.

It seemed to make more sense on the eye slings for rigging, where the splice was away from the knot.

Glad to hear you're OK!

Thanks,

Gary

I also use the small eyesplices that are just big enough to clip the biner into. For me, this works better than any other lenght. I have never had a biner turn around in the eye or my rope get snagged in a crotch or on a stub. I do realize that a splice has to be a certain lenght to reduce the stress where the the rope actually enters back into itself but I have had no problems so far and I inspect my rope before climbing (and several times while climbing).

So what eye splice length does everyone else prefere?

i like close for lifeline, but have been going with long for eyesplice or bowline for false crotches etc. for years. Tied off right, this keeps the direct load off the joint (knot or splice) as it is buried around wrap or constricting half hitch.

Latest posts

Back