Climbing Line Spliced Eyes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to replace my PI climbing line. I nicked it really bad last week when I had to set it with a pole saw. Gonna just use a tied eye for now but I have grown accustomed to the convenience of having a spliced eye to clip my biner to and I'm sure having to tie and untie a scaffold knot every time I want to pull my line through a crotch is going to get old fast.

It doesn't look as though Sherrill is doing the same kind of splice as they were when I bought the PI a couple of years back. Mine is spliced with a tight eye that I like pretty well. It looks as though they are splicing eyes much larger now and using some kind of rubber deal to adjust the size of the eye. Any advantages to this. How does it slide through a crotch?

I am also looking at the Blue Moon (same rope) that Wesspur is selling. Looks like a tighter eye but it also looks like there is some kind of rubber deal on the splice. Anyone have any experience with this type of eye splice? Comments? Good/bad?

I think sherri will do both tight or large or grizzly on there ropes depending on what type

The Grizzly splice is a little cheaper - and the only option for a couple of ropes. As far as I know, though, most ropes you can still get hand-spliced with a "normal" splice instead of the Grizzly.

I have a Blue Moon directly from Yale, and it is a "normal" splice...

Didn't know that you could buy directly from Yale. I did a little more reading and found that the tight eye splice on the wesspur rope is just covered in some kind of protective sleeve. I prefer as low a profile splice as I can get to keep it from getting caught in tight crotches.

What did your Blue Moon go for, if I may ask?

Gotcha. I might go that route and get both ends spliced. I like alternating ends when I climb and would do it more if I had both ends spliced. It just gets to be a chore to have to tie an eye over and over for my biner. I need to learn how to splice myself.

I am long overdue for a new climbing line. Both of mine will work but I really need a new one.

the idea sounds great but having both ends spliced never lets the rope milk or stretch or whatever the hell you want to call it when you start to use it. because of this it kinda hockles up pretty good. gets a funny twist.

this is what i discovered with 200ft of rope running off the crane. obviously i rappel a whole lot more than you might in the given day but i wanted to share with you.

i think we using the safety blue hivis rope. not sure what you going to be climbing on.

edit: and i prefer the larger spliced eye.

Good info.

I've got a Safety Blue line as well. No splice on it though. It doesn't work as well as the kernmantle for using ascenders IMO. Great rope tho. I climbed on it for years.

Sherrill will do a tight eye at both ends on PI or some of the other ropes but not all, milking is not a problem with the PI . Replaced my PI with the double tight eye and the only disadvantage I have come across is pulling it through some tight crotches in Black Locust trees with my throw line. But Locust crotches suck to pull anything through.

PI does milk, my 150' is almost a year old now, and after getting into some hundred plus foot trees lately and doing full rope descents I've had it milk out over a foot in just the last month, and like I said this is a rope nearly a year old.

Most ropes with higher weight rating will milk, because they get the high modulus of elasticity by making a looser weave. Loading straightens the weave a bit, thus elongating the cover.

I noticed my PI rope starting to milk pretty severely about a year ago. I worked the outer sheath down every time and started noticing that it was only milking when I used it with a 2 ring friction saver. I started using mostly natural crotches and the milking problem went away.

I have climbed on Safety Blue for over 10 years and have never had a problem with it milking.

I prefer the tight eye. The added bulk of the large eye with a girth hitch doesn't make much sense to me especially when using a Hitch-Climber pulley system..

I prefer the tight eye. The added bulk of the large eye with a girth hitch doesn't make much sense to me especially when using a Hitch-Climber pulley system..

i don't even bother girth hitching anymore with the amount i take the biner off and on. added bulk? i've never noticed it.....i'd think the tight eye would be a little thicker, no?

Latest posts

Back