climbing line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s4fitz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone. i have been climbing for a couple of months now to help expand my landscaping company. Over the holidays i received a new rope as a gift, it is a New England Tachyon 11.5mm. I read the reviews and people are loving this rope, light weight and holds up very well. My question is what kind of split tail/prusik cord should i buy to go along with it (size, material)? I am planing on starting to use the hitch climber setup when the weather gets consistently dryer here in NY.

Tachyon is great rope. I use mine with 8mm Beeline and it performs great. I've tried quite a few different set ups, and probably will continue to, but Beeline works great for what I'm doing with that rope now.

Keep in mind that you can use different rope/knot combinations, and those changes can greatly affect the way that it all responds. For instance, with tachyon, I tried Ice as a split tail. I tied a VT, then after using that a bit, switched over to a Michoacan (sp?). They were night and day different in how they responded, even though I was using the same rope combo. Even adding an extra wrap to your hitch can change things, so my advice to you is to try different things. Experiment with different rope combo's and different knots. You'll eventually find something that works for you, which is the most important thing...

I have to agree with the 8mm beeline, it seems to really like 11mm rope. You may want to start with a long piece, like 30" and learn to tie double fisherman's. this will give you the ability to try different sized hitches and knots until you find what you like.

I like to climb on a blakes hitch or tautline hitch, i have not done any srt but i am looking into learning that. Thanks for the posts back!!

I use the 10mm ocean polyester eye 2 eye for my VT on tachyon and like the combination a lot.

I use the pelican technora cord from wesspur. It's cheap, it's strong, and it's more durable than anything I've seen. I have a stitched 24" eye-to-eye with a vt on 11mm rope.

Thank you everyone!! I am gonna look online some more. My biggest concern was what size rope to get (mm). Since today is my birthday I am gonna splurge and grab a few!

I've been using split tail made from a piece of the Tachyon, it moves well enough; However, if I descend too fast it glazes the split tail.

I'm going to try some bee line, because it can withstand much higher temperatures.

Rope / friction cord combinations are a very individual thing. Not only the compatability between the rope and the cord, but the knot(s) you prefer, your weight, your style.

If you have a bit of spare $$, get a few different ones and try them out. Even when you find one that works, inevitably you'll try something different in a few years!

I've gone from split tail cut off the end of my line, to Bee line (didn't like) ice tail (like) to Ocean Poly (not bad)...and I now have a piece of HRC waiting to be tested.
Regardless of type of cord, I do like spliced eyes, but in the experiment stage, tie your own end knots, that way you'll be able to adjust the length to what suits you, then you can buy or splice your own pre set length with confidence.

10mm ocean/or blakes with 11mm allgear rope here using 5/3 blakes hitch works well when i dont want a bunch of crap on the saddle

i wouldnt go smaller than 10mm cord for a blakes ,just doesnt work well ,unless u are using advanced hitched

Back