climbing school?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budroe69moni

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i'm new to this business but i'm having a freakin' blast!!!!!
i want to get into doing larger trees but lack the experience.
there's just so much one can do w/ thier power purner,chainsaw and a 28' ladder. are there any climbing schools that anyone can recomend???? or should i just go for it on my own??????
budroe:cool:

The "Companion" could be a lot of help. I don't know of any courses in FLA. U SC Clemson has a new course.

How far away is Brian "Treeclimber", you may be able to hire him?

The you could line up two weeks of work and bring me down there, then I could learn palms.

Last edited:
I've never attended, but Arbormaster Training is supposed to be top of the line training. Look around at nearby colleges and arboretums. I know there's also another training school in Ohio somewhere, the name has slipped my mind. I learned from watching my tree climber, learning the knots and techniques, and trying trees that i knew were on my skill level and gradually challenging myself to more difficult trees. I still have a long way to go, but i feel in the past 3 years, i've come pretty far. I often climb for practice and not just work- with every tree you have under your belt, you gain more experience

Budroe,

Contact the Florida Chapter ISA at www.floridaisa.org. They often sponsor classes and workshops. The next one I know of is a Hazard Evaluation Workshop on April 16 in Orlando and April 18 in West Palm Beach.

The company in Ohio is ACRT. They do all kinds of training programs. www.acrtinc.com

Your local Cooperative Extension Service can probably help also.

I went to a one week workshop in Ohio at ACRT. They also have a school in Chicago, and somewhere in California I think. It was well worth it for me. I have heard that the Arbormaster training is good also, but that you spend more time watching than actual climb time. I haven't been to anything they put on, so I don't know for sure. I do know that the Arbormaster videos are excellent though. The address for ACRT is http://www.acrtinc.com/iaufmain.html

We are going to offer a 4 day class at MSU-Bottineau this summer as part of my online certificate program. It will most likely be the first week of June from Mon noon to Fri noon. Tuition would be $105, plus $15 text. We can use the dorms at a cost of $12/night and may have meals served by Marriott. Final plans haven't been made yet. Would be limited to about 15 people. All equipment is provided. I just received 6 new saddles from Weavers today as a donation to the program. If you would be interested in this class, drop me an email at [email protected] or call 701-228-5434.

Bob Underwood

Budroe, check with http://www.arbormaster.com/
they are having 2 Classes in Fla this month.
I was going to go to the one in orlando but had to change plans.
JPS, I may need to get you to SC sometime in the near future. If you'd be interested.

Re Arbormaster:

ddm,

You'll love it.

Budro, DO IT!!

Great training for an entry level climber, or anyone wishing to brush up, learn tons of tips and tricks, fine tune, whatever.

With 28 years of climbing under my belt, I'm still learning. Thanks to seminars, arborist magazines, publications, and as much as anything, this and other web boards, maybe someday I'll even know what i'm doing.

Now I'm hoping Arbormaster holds another competition, as I'd like a chance to try and join my friend and two time champ Paul Sisson in the winner's circle.......and take home some swag!!!

Say hello to Sean Geer for me. If it is not part of the course, get him to make you a few splices. This is a great DIY way to save money. As others have said, If i tie my own knots, why not splice my own loops?

Brian, i might take you up on that one day My grandparents live in winter Haven and we visit a couple times a year.Hopefully i'll get a lesson from JPS here soon if all goes well.I have climbed and do climb but i'm sure i have alot to learn.

Originally posted by underwor
We are going to offer a 4 day class at MSU-Bottineau this summer (May 28-31) as part of my online certificate program. Tuition would be $105, plus $15 text, There is also a $150 fee to cover all the equipment needed. We can use the dorms at a cost of $12/night. Final plans haven't been made yet. Would be limited to about 15 people. All equipment is provided. I just received 6 new saddles from Weavers today as a donation to the program. If you would be interested in this class, drop me an email at [email protected] or call 701-228-5434.

Bob Underwood

Thought I would repost this in case you knew anyone that would like to take the class for credit or for the fun of it. If it is only for recreational purposes, you would not need to pay the tuition. This is an entry level class, very basic.

Bob

Sounds good Bob but a little too far away for me.
I heard there might be something going on in or around Traverse City Michigan.
:blob2:

Everyone should own, and read, The Tree Climber's Companion by Jeff Jepson. Before another biner is bought, get The Companion.

Who's that mug on the bottom of page 65? :)

Tom

PS-If you can read this, you're in luck...
Der Ratgeber fur Kletternde Baumpfleger

The Companion is now tranlated into German.

Tom,
I have that and the Arbormasters training video series.
Both are very good for the novice climber.

As long as Proffesor Underwood :D (so how much ribbing does a treeman get with a name like that?) has is plug.

Tom D.'s Tree Climbing Team USA is having a two day workshop. They are cosponsored by the Minn. Arborist Assoc.

13 May- Speeline rigging

14 May- Modern climbing

CEU's availible for CA's

Tom will have to tell you the fees, since I forgot.

They will me held in Crystal Lake Park south of the Twin Cities (Burnsville?)

http://mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?ma...qDFypjqL9WM%3d&click=move&map.x=274&map.y=282

Are ya roasting a pig Tom?

Hay Darin, how about an announcment for both Tom and Bob's workshops?

Couple of things...

John: Your house doesn't show up, probably because of cookies.

Tom (that seems disrespectful for me to say...): BabelFish translates that into "The councellor fur climbing tree male nurses" - is that what it really means? My German translator fell asleep already, otherwise I'd call him.

Everyone: In Burnsville, Minnesota!

<b>Tuesday, May 14th, 2002 - Demonstration of Speedline Rigging</b>
Before May 4th After May 4th
MSA Member $120 $135
Non-Member $145 $160
(includes membership)

<b>Tuesday, May 15th, 2002 - Intro to Modern Climbing</b>

MSA Member $200 $215
Non-Member $225 $240

Speedline Rigging:
-Learn to move wood laterally from the tree.
-Technique, Load Calculations, Equipment Selection, Installation in a Tree....

Intro to Modern Climbing
-Learn modern climbing techniques and use up to date equipment. Practice the newest techniques used in the vertical world, allowing you to have longevity in your climbing career.
BYO climbing gear. Hands-on with no more than 5 students per instructor.

Info: Chad Brey, [email protected]

Well that sucks! I've used it before to post maps, must have changed formats or sumptin.

Now y'all gotta look it up yourself!

Look up Burnsville in Mapquest

find where Hwy42 meets I35

Lac Lavon Dr. runs south through the park off of Hwy42.

Back