climbing school?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick wrote:
Tom (that seems disrespectful for me to say...): BabelFish translates that into
"The councellor fur climbing tree male nurses" - is that what it really means? My
German translator fell asleep already, otherwise I'd call him.

Where's the disrespect?

The German language is pretty complex compared to English. When Jeff got the translations he found that he had to increase the dimensions of the book by 9mm [7/16"] on both height and width to keep all of the words in.
As far as I know, that's an accurate translation. The Germans treat their arbos at the same level as physicians. Wouldn't it be nice to have that level of acceptance? In order to get that acceptance, our profession must earn it. Right now, I 'd have to say that there aren't a lot of "male tree nurses" working in trees. Too many "male tree hacks". Like Bob Wulcowicz says, butchers are a highly skilled profession, its not polite to besmirch their skills and craftsmanship.

Tom

I don't know...I just have a hard time calling people I respect so much by their first names. Related to arboriculture schools:

This summer, I'm spending 6 weeks in Europe as part of UWSP's summer camp alternative. Four of those weeks will be in Germany's Black Forest, and I cannot wait to see it and hear about all that they have been doing for forest management, urban planning, and urban trees for the past millenium. Second on my list is driving on the Autobahn...

Who has been to Europe for the trees (other than Sergio, et al... :) )? Jake Ryg, our SSA president and Ginkgo72 on certain web-board, has told me a lot of awesome stories about the camp. Actually, the present WAA president, Bob Gansemer, introduced me to it and made up my mind to go to school here. Just looking through his photo album made me wet my pants.

Nickrosis

BLACK FOREST AKA SCHWARTZWALD

How is your German. First off Wald is forest, schwartz is black, hence BF. I have spent a lot of time there, as the Canadian bases were in Lahr and Baden Sollingen before they closed in 93/94. If you want more info drop me an email, a [email protected] Yes, there are trees there. First place I ever heard coo coos. You will love it.

A lot of trees were destroyed there during a severe windstorm in the fall 99, winter 00 timeframe. I still remember the hoops we had to jump thru when we damaged a tree with military vehicles.

The air pollution is pretty severe at times, especially close to the Rhine Valley, and that is also having an effect on the trees, mainly conifers. Also a lot of talk how acid rain has weakened the roots.

I was last there two years ago this month, and hope to visit sometime this winter again: have a very good lady friend there.

A few more years Nick, and you wont turn and look for your dad when someone calls you Mr Crawford ;).

Was it wet your pants, or cream your jeans? :D Gotta put the military, sophmoric humor behind me one of these days:rolleyes:.

These past few years I've found onecan call Tom just about everything, except fot the old bald gray haried guy. Thats because Bob Underwood turns around and says "What?"
:blob2:

Jumper, you're e-mail address didn't work - it was undeliverable. Do you mean @yahoo.com? My German? Awful! I've been working so hard on my Spanish because of all of our Hispanic employees that I haven't started any others. I definitely want to learn it, though. So far in class, we've learned about Dauerwald, and its impact on German forestry.

John, we call each other Mr. Crawford all the time. OK, in jest, I said I applied liquid urea nitrate to my pants.... No, I did not have application specifications in writing before the application.... :rolleyes: ....John... :D

Trying to stay on topic...nobody has tried ArborLearn.org? What types of training have you received? Technical college, ArborMaster, 4-year degree in Arboriculture or an unrelated field, apprenticeship, or did you learn on your own?

Nickrosis

The internet has been berry berry goot to me:) :blob2:

I read books and papers.

I took a few courses at MATC.

Go to all the shows and workshops I can afford. (I'll be in the twin cities for the speed line workshop, and play gopher at the climbing workshop.)

I am lucky though, several freinds have called me a "knowledge sponge". They say that the average person retains 10% of what they "learn", I'm more like 30-40%. Does that make me retentive?

Minisoda US of A

St. Paul and Mini-apple-us.

The announcemnt on the top of the board gives more detail.

My map programs wont go into Cah-nah-DAH, but the site of the event is about six hours from Int. Falls.

Pretty good, there were around 10 people per class.

The only thing I did not like was that they went right into footlock ascent on a prussick without working on the mechanics of the footlock. All these guys who never did it kept locking their knots down. Should have done SRT on mechaincal ascenders with a self belay backup.

The speedline show went welll and may have sold a couple of GRCS's in the long run.

Most of the attendies were micro companies that want to learn to do things with greater efficiency with less labor cost.

I think Tom's best moment was when a guy walked up on a break and said "I've learned more in the last half day then the last five years!"

Latest posts

Back