Climbing to the tips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lync

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Gentlemen:
I've been watching, and learning from the sidelines, and am impressed with the vast amount of knowledge possessed by the collective group of Arborist's assembled here. I have been climbing for 6 years.
Would anyone have any suggestions for a method to reach
the tips of large limbs which are to be removed, when those limbs are at a 45 degree angle to the main trunk.
The tips of these limbs are at the same height as as my tie in point which is anchored in the highest point of the tree. I'm using climbers(it's a removal). I've double crotched with some limited success to smaller limbs on these main branches, to give me stability on the climb up. But these branches are gone as I decend since they have been cut and rigged to the ground.
I wind up sliding down the branch on my a--, with the branch between my legs,with my flipline around around the branch (6- 20 inches in diameter from tip to main trunk).
I've also tried climbing up the side of the branch, keeping my climbing line taught, using my climbers and flip line to advance.

Thanks

Keep your gaffs under you and in the wood. If you try to stand on the limb without using your gaffs, you end up doing the 'shiney hiney'. As long as you don't flush cut limbs, there will be enough protrusions on the lead for your lanyard to catch. Many times I will even leave firewood-length stubs to assist in tying off sections for lowering. The upside to that is I have steps and handholds. Walking DOWN a limb is tough, but it beats the alternatives!

(Did you know that you can lead a horse upstairs but not downstairs?)

Don't be afraid to dig in hard with your spikes. That's why you are using them. As far as getting down the limb, I was taught to lean back on your climbing line and use one hand to control the hitch and the other to hold onto the tree and work your lanyard. I have found that there are so many different methods in tree climbing. Find what works best. Rich.

Latest posts

Back