Clinton 3A3

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got the itch to do another restoration. Waiting on delivery of a Clinton 3A3. Looks complete. I have an ipl but wondered if anyone might have a user manual. It's supposed to have a pressurized fuel tank - new to me. I think I may be able to get a belt from McMaster-Carr. Would greatly appreciate any input. I did do a search and found little on it but the posts were several years old.

Saw arrived and I took some pics. Looks pretty good overall, P&C clean, engine turns, sprocket not bad, decent chain (1/2") and bar cleaned up well. Compression is only about 80 psi but it's pretty dry and rings may be stuck. The belt is intact but has a little tear and will need replaced. Turns out the oil tank is pressurized, not the fuel tank. I question if the red stripes on the carb cover and belt cover are original. I need to loosen up the locking pin to rotate the carb/rear handle assembly. TIP: The fuel cap was firmly stuck on. After warming the tank and spraying some WD40, I used a plumbing strap wrench to wrap around the cap and it finally came off undamaged.

Attachments

• 20211107_104222.jpg
    20211107_104222.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20211107_104246.jpg
    20211107_104246.jpg
    903.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211107_104311.jpg
    20211107_104311.jpg
    883 KB · Views: 6
Saw arrived and I took some pics. Looks pretty good overall, P&C clean, engine turns, sprocket not bad, decent chain (1/2") and bar cleaned up well. Compression is only about 80 psi but it's pretty dry and rings may be stuck. The belt is intact but has a little tear and will need replaced. Turns out the oil tank is pressurized, not the fuel tank. I question if the red stripes on the carb cover and belt cover are original. I need to loosen up the locking pin to rotate the carb/rear handle assembly. TIP: The fuel cap was firmly stuck on. After warming the tank and spraying some WD40, I used a plumbing strap wrench to wrap around the cap and it finally came off undamaged.
Hi there buzz. I was wondering how your Clinton 3A3 is doing now that is has been a few years since the post? I have a few Clintons that I have just started looking into restoring myself, which one of them is a 3A3. Your post peaked my interest.

Thanks,
Brian

More involved than I first thought. Got it apart - The crank broke near the rod journal in the past and someone did a nice job of re-welding it - only about .010" runout. I still didn't want to use it so I found another Clinton with the same crank but the piston was locked up in it and you have to push the piston clear to the top so the rod clears the crank before you can remove the crank. I think I sawed the top of the jug off. I was able to find new seals on ebay. The 2nd saw also had a good drive belt. It is an oddball - still can't find a new one (grainger, McMaster-carr). I did some posts on the vintage saw thread. Do a search on clinton 3A3. Here's a vid of it running. It has a pressurized fuel tank instead of a typical fuel pump. I've been looking for manuals to learn how to set it correctly. If you do get into one, let me know. I'll have to do some memory jogging and picture review. https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/vintage-chainsaw-collectors-lounge.301856/page-761#post-7606478

I am at a loss for words buzz !! That looks awesome !! You have done a wonderful job on that saw. Lots of time on that beast. I am currently working on a D65 and have a few other Clintons that I will be working on after that. I maybe contacting you in the future if you dont mind.

I am at a loss for words buzz !! That looks awesome !! You have done a wonderful job on that saw. Lots of time on that beast. I am currently working on a D65 and have a few other Clintons that I will be working on after that. I maybe contacting you in the future if you dont mind.
Sure, always ready to help.

Back