Clone 070 vs clone 660 for milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hickahollar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I dont have the money to buy a new ms661 or bigger saw. I've been looking locally and I haven't found a 90cc saw for sale. So I've been contemplating buying one of those 2 clone saws ( ms070 clone or ms660)because I can afford them. I do have a coworker who said that his dad has a ms880 that he wanted to sale but I don't know if he will sale it. If he will sale it I'll probably get it instead of these clone saws. But of those what's the better way to go. $400 dollars I can afford that.

I dont have the money to buy a new ms661 or bigger saw. I've been looking locally and I haven't found a 90cc saw for sale. So I've been contemplating buying one of those 2 clone saws ( ms070 clone or ms660)because I can afford them. I do have a coworker who said that his dad has a ms880 that he wanted to sale but I don't know if he will sale it. If he will sale it I'll probably get it instead of these clone saws. But of those what's the better way to go. $400 dollars I can afford that.
A lot depends on your milling needs. There is a saying in milling,”there’s no replacement for displacement.” I have no experience with the clones, but the 070 is 106cc’s and the 660 is 91cc’s. I’d try to fanagle that 880.

My way of thinking is that the lower rpm saw should last longer. But I'm not sure if the quality of the 070 has gotten better but I feel like a lot of people are have better luck with the 660 just kind of want people that have dealt with this to chime in if any are here. But yes the real deal 880 would be awesome. I am only milling for myself I'm gonna make a barn and some other farm buildings but I have about 30 logs ready to mill

I have a 660 I was milling with but came across a deal on a 056. In my opinion I think it does a lot better job

Attachments

• 16391818859453085673861110883076.jpg
    16391818859453085673861110883076.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
What mill do you have with the winch? Wish mine had that.
I bought my mill from Amazon one of the cheap ones. Tinkered with it and added the winch. Winch is from Harbor Freight. And made a auxillary oiler out of some plumbing pieces I had. It does a really good job for not having much on it

Why?I don’t understand I don’t have money for a new saw either but I sure wouldn’t buy a knockoff no one in my area will work on those saws I did have one for a bit I sent it back I took it to the local saw mechanic and he looked at the saw I wont work on it I don’t know what saw that is not do I wish to get involved finding parts.The second guy said close to the same thing.

Some good points on what ever you choose. 880 vs 056 vs 070 vs 660 will all work. I have two 056 and yes they are great. Also have two 070s. If you can not work on your saws then no matter what you get you will have problems. All saws need TLC with constant adjusting. The 070s are very reasonable in price and will last as long as you need them. They will need some extra care to give high performance. On mine I had to make some modifications to the compression release and a few other minor issues. I bought several carb kits as one of mine started to have issues. The biggest concern would be the 070 is bigger heavier with more displacement so heat is not as much of a concern. On the 660 they run the chain faster and can build up heat faster which is a big negative. The 880 does a great job in all the fields but is more pricey and may cost much more. Thanks

Well I finally finagled my co workers ms880 from his dad. Been sick for the last few days and finally got to play around with it a little bit today. Oh it's got a 41'' bar and .404 chain. He had the low side way too rich. I adjusted it to where I got my best idle. The little sticker says 1/4 turn I went just a tad over. High side was right. Idle was off adjusted it. It has a sharp chain but it's not very grabby so I'm going to adjust the rakers tomorrow and go over the teeth with a file. I let the dogs dig in and it would cut but without the dogs dug in it was like watching a toothless cow chew grass.

Ordered some archer ripping chain waiting on it to get here. In the mean time I've got 2 more big red oaks that are down and I reckon that 880 will come in handy one is right at 40inches and the other is close to 50 will hopefully measure them either Monday or Tuesday. Here is a picture of the 880

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211227-011626_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20211227-011626_Video Player.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
Well the smaller tree was 48 inches perhaps more some of it was still in the dirt where my step dad pushed it into a ditch to slow erosion. Too bad to used it for that would have made good red oak milling logs.

Attachments

• 20211227_160703.jpg
    20211227_160703.jpg
    907.9 KB · Views: 6
Back