Closed loop friction hitches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monkeylove

monkeylove

ArboristSite Lurker
I usally use a Blake's hitch but would like to add some closed loop hitches to my techniques. I hear the tend better but are also more fickle than the Blake. I am climbing on Vortex 12.7MM for my DDRT line. Any help on knot preference and length since they seem to come in a few lengths. Thanks.#

CanopyGorilla

CanopyGorilla

climber....sawyer
VT hitch tended with a micro pully is very popular for a good reason. I just switched over to a Hitch Hiker though and love it! I feel like I have been using margarine this whole time and just discovered butter.

NYTREECLIMBER

NYTREECLIMBER

Addicted to ArboristSite
I like the VT in 28 inch also the Knut in the same length , been loving armor prus 8 mm and HRC 8 mm but I would go with 10 mm on vortex being its larger than most climbing line

Sent from my 3120XP

RandomWoodsman

RandomWoodsman

ArboristSite Lurker
A vt is great if you are a lighter smaller guy I had problems with it because im 6'6 and 200 pounds and it didnt want to hold the wraps. A distel or a swabish is easy to tie and remember buy will bind periodically and be a royal PITA. I use a coopers hitch and it works great for me tends as well as a vt and quicker to tie a well as less finicky for me

woodchuck357

woodchuck357

Addicted to ArboristSite
I still use a blakes hitch most of the time. I started using it in the late sixtys and it was the only hitch I used for over 20 years. Lately, I have tried most every hitch that I have heard of. I like the vt but the coopers looks interesting, I'll have to give it a try.

Hoowasat

Hoowasat

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I tried the Blakes and found I prefer the Valdotain Tresse (VT). With the VT, I use a small block-pulley with a 9mm cord on my 1/2" Arbormaster rope. Runs smoother than the Blakes, and my opinion is the VT provides a more secure feeling.

Guran

Guran

ArboristSite Operative
I just bought ocean polyester, 8mm as a hitch cord. Use it with a VT. Think it grabs like crazy. Down to two turns and two wraps. But still a bit hard to release the grip. And when it does it´s a bit drastic, not that smooth. Anybody used ocean polyester as a hith cord?

NYTREECLIMBER

NYTREECLIMBER

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just bought ocean polyester, 8mm as a hitch cord. Use it with a VT. Think it grabs like crazy. Down to two turns and two wraps. But still a bit hard to release the grip. And when it does it´s a bit drastic, not that smooth. Anybody used ocean polyester as a hith cord?
What rope was it on? I have oceans 8 mm and never has any issues with it having to much grip. I use a four wrap two cross and find it to be one of the faster hitch cords out . Maybe your cord is to long/short or not tying it correctly . The VT when tied right should never be hard to break it is probably one of the easiest If anything.

Sent from my 3120XP

woodchuck357

woodchuck357

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just bought ocean polyester, 8mm as a hitch cord. Use it with a VT. Think it grabs like crazy. Down to two turns and two wraps. But still a bit hard to release the grip. And when it does it´s a bit drastic, not that smooth. Anybody used ocean polyester as a hith cord?[/quote
How much do you weigh? Heavier climbers seem to not like the VT. I would not reduce the number of turns that low. The release should be smooth and consistent. Don't climb on something that isn't. I have been working to get back down to 180, but am still over 200. Random suggested the coopers hitch, I'm planning to give it a try when I get a little time to play.

Guran

Guran

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks for the input. I weight about 185 lbs and climb on a HI-Vee from new England. 12 mm. I would say that I tie the VT correctly. (I think..) I've been using other hitch cords earlier and that worked just fine and smooth when breaking the hitch.

sgreanbeans

sgreanbeans

Treeaculterologist
A vt is great if you are a lighter smaller guy I had problems with it because im 6'6 and 200 pounds and it didnt want to hold the wraps. A distel or a swabish is easy to tie and remember buy will bind periodically and be a royal PITA. I use a coopers hitch and it works great for me tends as well as a vt and quicker to tie a well as less finicky for me
What is this coopers? I use a swabish and never have had a problem.

Latest posts