clutch cover modifications

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eraser

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, A question on the clutch cover. I note when chainsawing there is a large rooster tail behind me, I question what the rubber/plastic attachement on the back of the cover actually does, it appears to be designed to direct the rooster tail down. has anyone removed this plastic/rubber attachment and what was the result. I wonder if removing it would reduce the amount of rubbish going in and around the clutch. I am currently cutting Rounds into blocks for the fire, hence the question. I find placing the rounds on a pallet assists with the output and reduces the amount of curly bits blocking the cooling of the saw, you have to watch for the nails in the pallet when cutting through.

I have trimmed the "tail" of the deflector even with the clutch cover on my 660 Mag.
Left the other bits inside the housing. It did help some. Have you considered putting a skirt along the clutch cover? As in a strip of leather or rubber hanging around 1.25 inches below the end of the clutch cover housing. Attached with rivets most often. Some of the west coasters here in the states do that in lieu of the deflector being in place. A few i have chatted with say it works as well as having a large clutch cover. I left the rubber inside to help save damage when the chain breaks or pops off.
Outbushman in Oz sells a "skirted" cover you may want to look at.

I have trimmed the "tail" of the deflector even with the clutch cover on my 660 Mag.
Left the other bits inside the housing. It did help some. Have you considered putting a skirt along the clutch cover? As in a strip of leather or rubber hanging around 1.25 inches below the end of the clutch cover housing. Attached with rivets most often. Some of the west coasters here in the states do that in lieu of the deflector being in place. A few i have chatted with say it works as well as having a large clutch cover. I left the rubber inside to help save damage when the chain breaks or pops off.
Outbushman in Oz sells a "skirted" cover you may want to look at.
thank you, I appreciate the advice, I will try this

I also trim off the bottom of the tail as well as remove the rubber insert. It dramatically helps to keep the chips from packing up and clogging the clutch area. Particularly when noodling rounds with the grain and you get those long twisted chips.IMG_5519.JPG

Back