Clutch drum is wonky, is this a return or is it ok?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookies

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have been slowly ordering the updated clutch drum kits and clutches for my 034/036's with the larger bearing and larger springs and wider shoes. I ordered the clutch and rim kit for the last one about 2 weeks ago and everything finally arrived. I pulled everything out and opened the packages to do the swap and I found the bell end of the drum weirdly uneven, it does not appear to be ground on by anything. I do feel a bit vibrations if I spin it fast by hand but that could be from the bearing riding on a pen body, Im worried it could damage the oiler or the oiler key that it drives. Should I send it back and try again? The guy I got it from was off ebay, he has sold me tons of stuff over the years.

Attachments

• 20200328_044139.MOV
    40.5 MB
Hey Cookies!

The focus in the video is not quite on, so I may be speaking under correction here. The bell itself seems to be running true, but the "skirt" (bottom edge) seems not to have been trimmed properly, giving the impression that it's warped... If you're a DIY guy with a lathe, it would be a reasonably simple matter to "face" the skirt off to correct dimension. A good carbide bit would do the trick. However, if this part passed QC with such an obvious flaw, then it may be suspect in other areas too... hardness may be out; may be out of round; may be otherwise warped or damaged. If it was advertised as "new", I would simply return it for a replacement.

My 2c.

Hope this helps!

Mike

I assume the part number on professors pic is the upgrade?
And that is the old bearing beside the new.
Now I'm curious if mine is updated.

I assume the part number on professors pic is the upgrade?
And that is the old bearing beside the new.
Now I'm curious if mine is updated.
That is correct.

New upgrade and old OEM.

I did have 1 of the old small setups grenade a bearing on a 036. It didn't damage drum or crank end as I shut it right off. Since then all my 1125 saws got the upgrade.

Latest posts

Back