Clutch drum - spur to rim?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonsered2095

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a solo 637 I want to convert to 325. Probably NK (is there a chisel in 325NK?)

What replacement drum/rim will fit?

:newbie:

Welcome back - haven't seen you around in a long time! :cheers:

I don't know about the drum - but there are no chisel option in .325NK, while there is in 3/8" lo-pro (Stihl 63PS3). Anyway, I Suspect that 3/8" lo-pro is the best option on that saw. ;)

Last edited:
I dont know that much about these smaller Solos but I have a 635 here right now that belongs to a older fella. I posted a while back about finding a sprocket for it without much luck.

It seems like a decent little saw but I can see right now that getting parts for it is a joke. I ended up having to order it direct from Solo and that 3/8's LP sprocket was $46 when all said and done. I was suggested to use a site sponsor here but they were $10 higher then direct from Solo.

Sorry, but this little saw aint that much better then a Wildthing and surely not worth the parts trouble for it. Lucky I didnt need a kit for that little Bing carb, no telling how much that would have been.

I don't know about the drum - but there are no chisel option in .325NK, while there is in 3/8" lo-pro (Stihl 63RS3). Anyway, I Suspect that 3/8" lo-pro is the best option on that saw. ;)

Right, a 30cc saw will cut a lot faster with 3/8lp 6 tooth than .325 7 tooth. Steve

Thanks Troll :blush:

:arg::givebeer: (more beer):yourock:

I don't know about the drum - but there are no chisel option in .325NK, while there is in 3/8" lo-pro (Stihl 63RS3). Anyway, I Suspect that 3/8" lo-pro is the best option on that saw. ;)

Stihl 63PS3 is the bomb IMO.

Yes I'm having trouble finding an alternative drum, hence the query. Didn't think there was chisel in NK, but hey it's narrow at least. Will check out the Stihl chain - how does it compare with vxl?
What is the RS3 like for bore cutting?

As for best pitch, well... :sword:

Really I'm looking for more chain speed so back to the drum problem - maybe there's a 7T lp spur?

I dont know that much about these smaller Solos but I have a 635 here right now that belongs to a older fella. I posted a while back about finding a sprocket for it without much luck.

It seems like a decent little saw but I can see right now that getting parts for it is a joke. I ended up having to order it direct from Solo and that 3/8's LP sprocket was $46 when all said and done. I was suggested to use a site sponsor here but they were $10 higher then direct from Solo.

Yes I'm getting that feeling for the drum but thought there must be one that fits another saw that will fit this saw also - the clutch and shaft is the main measure, and I can make a drum narrower if need be.

Shaft .468"
Drum ID 2.541"
Drum OD 2.660"

Sorry, but this little saw aint that much better then a Wildthing and surely not worth the parts trouble for it. Lucky I didnt need a kit for that little Bing carb, no telling how much that would have been.

Have to disagree, for a little chappy this saw has balls! Nearly as much torque as the esteemed 346 @ lower rpm (good thing for a bigger sprocket or chain) - it pulls the crappy chain pretty hard, I'm just looking for a better chain and more chain speed to smooth it out.

Right, a 30cc saw will cut a lot faster with 3/8lp 6 tooth than .325 7 tooth. Steve

40cc
2.5Nm @6200

:msp_flapper:

Yes I'm having trouble finding an alternative drum, hence the query. Didn't think there was chisel in NK, but hey it's narrow at least. Will check out the Stihl chain - how does it compare with vxl?
What is the PS3 like for bore cutting?

As for best pitch, well... :sword:

Really I'm looking for more chain speed so back to the drum problem - maybe there's a 7T lp spur?

The PS3 surely isn't great for bore cutting, because of the large ramps and rakers - I assume 91VXL is better for that.

I have never heard of 7-pin lp/Picco spurs - I believe you would need a drum and rim that is Stihl's mini 7-spline, not regular small 7-spline. (there may exist costum made rims for the regular small 7 though).

Bear in mind that I have no personal experience with this though, my statements are based on info I have picked up through the years.

Latest posts

Back